Using only Inorganic Soil

Rcflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
It is possible to use only Inorganic soil? I have pre-bonsai , young and 5 years old bonsai. Yes I got the craze and brought alot.

- Five year old Chinese Elm and Podocarpus Budda Pine
- Young Portulacaria afra variegata, Bougainvillea and Power Puff (Calliandra Schultzei) with fully established trunks.
- Pre-Bonsai dwarf schefflera arboricola, portulacaria afra variegata, Bouganinvillea

All kept indoors and top down watering from water can or bath shower. Currently the soil is about 60% organic and 40% inorganic from the seller. I am planning to repot them all to 100 Inorganic consisting of Akadama and Lava Rock and liquid fertilizing weekly. Another option I am looking at doing a mixing of Akadama,Turface Calcined Clay, Black Lava Rock, Vermiculite and Pumice). Would this be harmful to the plant if its all inorganic?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are inside, using such a lean soil mix will add to their already considerable environmental challenge. Indoor conditions are drier than a desert. Light is extremely low. Free draining soil will go completely dry relatively quickly (and no a humidity tray under the pot isn't any help--at all). This might be OK for the bougie and jade plant, but it will kill the elm...(and indoors is really no place for any kind of elm for more than a week.)

Take a tip from indoor potting soil mixes, they have some organic elements (some have too much) to hold onto moisture indoors. A reverse of the mix you have now-- 60 percent INorganic and 40 percent organic--would work if you're concerned.

Rcflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks I will go with 60 Inorganic / 40 organic mix to play it safe.

Top Bottom