Using only Inorganic soil

Rcflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
Is it ok to use only Inorganic soil and just fertilize plant separately?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Depends. What kinda tree are you talking about?

Rcflyer

Seedling
Reaction score
Five year old Chinese Elm and Podocarpus Budda Pine. Younger Portulacaria afra variegata, Bougainvillea and Power Puff (Calliandra Schultzei) with fully established trunks.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes.

I have my Chinese elms in wholly inorganic media.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have about 10% pine barks in my mix for the yew, Crepe Myrtle, Trident, and some other small stuff. My zone have quite hot and humid summers and I was hoping the organics hold moisture a bit better.

But I have collected Gojis and Privets in straight DE 8822, and they're growing like weeds. I'm gonna change to a more course inorganic mix this spring though and see if they do even better.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is it ok to use only Inorganic soil and just fertilize plant separately?

Absolutely! Have you read Walter Pall's excellent article on substrates/watering/fertilization? If not I'd highly recommend reading it til you're real comfortable with every principle in there, it will save a LOT of headaches!! http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2010/06/feeding-substrate-and-watering-english.html

The answer is 'yes' though, you certainly can, however when you have an inorganic/inert growing-medium, there's far less 'buffer' than a regular soil would provide, so when it comes to a 'proper' inorganic bonsai mix you'll need to be fertilizing sufficiently if you want optimal growth (though insufficient fertilization isn't going to kill your tree, at least not quickly), I used to use liquid fertilizers only but changed to using 50/50 liquid/extended-release-pellets, I think the latter is very very useful in the context of fast-draining, frequently-watered inorganic substrates!!

Top Bottom