Using rooting hormones on newly collected tree

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I collected a hornbeam yesterday and will be cleaning up the root base to go in a growbox today.
Has anyone used a rooting hormone prior to planting in the box?
I was thing on mixing up a low dose mixture of Dip N Grow and letting it sit in it for an hour or so before planting. Thoughts?Hornbeam3.JPG

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Instead of spending money on Dip-N-Grow ($54 a pint), spend your cash on a good draining inorganic growing medium- I use plain old 1/4" lava on most of my transplants with the exception of Bald Cypress. I won the Silent Auction in 2019 at the BSF Convention in Orlando, got a 15 gallon Windswept Divi-divi growing in decomposed pine bark based nursery mix, I barerooted it, washed it clean and planted it in a 50/50 1/4" lava/ 1/4" limestone mix, it is exploding with new growth this week.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
50/50 1/4" lava/ 1/4" limestone mix
My mix for collected trees is 70% pumice and 30% lava and pine bark chips.
I'm not shy about spending money on good soil components!
I've heard some use 100% fine pumice and some use a mix of pumice and soil amendment (soil conditioner).

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Roots know what they need to grow. So cuts on roots will grow roots, without us telling them they should. It is when you have non-root tissue that a dash of proper hormones can make a difference.

John Topicz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have experienced Hornbeam , without sealing the trunk cut site, throwing base suckers. With that said, I have and experimental collecting sites, where I've bought and applied the different hormone powders at different locations on trunks, with sealed trunk cut sites, to learn and see if I can't find a working combination. This could take years! There are a number of hormones used that can and do offer different results then just using root dips. I do use the black bag/soil heating once collected and yet SOME trees no matter the roots collected will still only grow from the base. Have our collected deciduous trees grow close to the tops is worth everything in the long run.
I never post, I'm just a reader but I will try and reply once I get some kind of reliable results.

John Topicz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hydrologic recovery in hornbeam transplant shock is a factor or any collected tree for that matter. Hormones only work if the tree has enough stored energy to bring it back from the trauma, plus great or perfect conditions it's then put in.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
hydrologic recovery in hornbeam transplant shock is a factor or any collected tree for that matter. Hormones only work if the tree has enough stored energy to bring it back from the trauma, plus great or perfect conditions it's then put in.
Thanks for sharing that...Can you explain hydrologic recovery is simple terms. I can make out the gist of it by the word itself but if you could explain how hydrologic recovery affects all collected material if would be of interest to many. Thanks

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally have burned trees to death with excess root hormone/stimulant. Still use but 1/2 strength only on first watering after repot;).

John Topicz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing that...Can you explain hydrologic recovery is simple terms. I can make out the gist of it by the word itself but if you could explain how hydrologic recovery affects all collected material if would be of interest to many. Thanks
To make this reply a short version. I was referring to the water chain that plants need to support their growth. Once a tree is collected, assuming during late winter, which their still somewhat in dormancy, we cut off most of their root system and hope for their recovery. Water had a high tension surface and can easily be moved. A plants system to facilitate growth out of dormancy is what will make this hydraulic water chain come to life in a way that perpetuates growth of new roots and Bud swelling. I'll stop there because this could become a rabbit hole and I'm leaving out a million things. If I make and scientific mistakes the bonsai trolls will attach.

Top Bottom