Using *small* % of seashells in medium?

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know, they're basic/alkaline....I'm referring to whole-shell "mulch" not the crushed-up little fragments (in fact these chunks are a lil too-large for most of my containers)

I still can't stop thinking that some minor% in the mix would be valuable, I mean sure they're not our intended-pH but that is easily-overcome by simply adding a bit more bark or sphagnum to the mix to re-balance pH to slightly-below neutral.

Would love to hear any thoughts on this, I got a bag over a week ago and still on-the-fence about its inclusion in mixes :p

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Crushed oyster shell is a "standard" media additive for calcium loving plants, especially certain orchids and others that naturally grow on limestone bluffs, or cliffs, alkali fens & other rare habitats. Used for the species of maidenhair ferns that love alkaline soils.

Shells would be a bad choice for acid loving species. Azalea, blueberries, possibly hornbeam and Japanese maple will "fail to thrive" if their media is top dressed with crushed oyster shells.

Whole shells will pose the same potential issues, just at a "lower dose level".

Shells of clams and oysters and most mollusks are largely calcium, with some phosphorous and traces of other minerals. The calcium dominates to a very large extent, the phosphorous is minor, and the rest of the minerals are in small traces. Excess calcium blocks the uptake of nitrogen, phosphorous, and most trace minerals in plants not adapted to a high calcium environment. So if a species is not adapted to a high calcium environment, adding shells can create a nutrient deficiency. But for limestone endemics, and gypsum endemics, there is nothing better for them than crushed oyster shells.

Oyster shell is often used to "sweeten" or raise the alkalinity of acid soils. If one is using peat as your main ingredient in potting soil, in order to adjust the alkalinity to one more favorable for species that prefer a more neutral soil, oyster shell is often added to peat to make a general purpose potting media. A little is a good thing.

If what I remember about Tampa area water, you probably have municipal water that is high in dissolved calcium. You might not want to add shells to your mix if you are raising acid loving trees. But trees like North American native Junipers, buttonwood, Japanese black pine, ginkgo, and a number of Florida natives will actually like the shells, as they like the higher calcium soils.

Last edited:

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Leo that was very thorough & informative, looks like the shells are going back (ROFL probably 1st time someone's returned a bag of mulching :p ), sadly I still haven't gotten a Buttonwood and Junipers still aren't my thing (so far as I know all of my guys are acid-lovers: bougies, crapes, ficus, bc's, maples..)
Was thinking "Oh I'll just balance-out the pH" but obviously that's not enough, appreciate the reply got to learn as well as get a solid answer :D
Hope all's well in your nursery (&life!!) man :)

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adding shells and sphagnum will result in spots with high and spots with low pH until the spagnum wears out. The shells will likely win in the long run.

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
Glad I came across this by accident. So I have a very healthy Bougie and a Juniper experiment , going strong. @Leo in N E Illinois. I've been using shell incrusted remains from neighborhood construction sites to stabilize and add a bit of nature to my trees. Good or crazy? 20210205_151701.jpg20210205_151643.jpg

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
The soil is a mix of organic and Bonsai Supply mix. But the top layer is organic. And 9b, using filtered water. Its been working so far.
Also, just received an Azalea bonsai, whose the one to read about those in 9b, its my first one.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your juniper foliage looks fine, nice and healthy. No need to remove the rocks from the juniper.

I'm not familiar with the soil pH preferences of Bougainvillea. Your leaves look okay. If they start to get yellowish or have green veins showing, with yellowish between the veins, then remove the rocks.

I would never put "seashell rocks" or shells, or limestone rocks on your azalea. At the moment your azalea looks quite healthy.

Commercial potting soil mixes are already blended to serve a wide range of "average" plants. Most plants used for bonsai want mildly acidic soils. If you ever get down to Fort Meyer's , there is a great bonsai nursery dedicated to material that grows well in Florida. They will have pre-mixed bonsai soil. Contact them when you need to purchase more potting media. THey are friendly, and even occasionally host classes.

You should also look at joining a local bonsai society. There is one that meets in the Tampa-St. Pete area. I forget the name, google is your friend. Nothing beats seeing bonsai trees in person in learning the how to of this hobby. A club can facilitate hands on learning.

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
Thanks for replying Leo, your advice is always appreciated. I've tried numerous times to reach out to the local club, but no response. Heard your weather (formely from Illinois) is pretty rough now, stay warm and safe .

Top Bottom