Utah Juniper 2020

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I just got back from a collecting trip, collected 7 trees but one is special to me and probably a keeper, so I wanted to start a detailed thread for it.
11/07 - In the ground before removal
IMG_5527.JPG

11/10 - Second day in pot and going through the collection process.
IMG_5556.jpg IMG_5555.JPG

The collectors, I and pops
IMG_5530.JPG

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very nice Tree!!!

Now that foliage will “revert” or “adapt” once containerized, right? Just curious..

Take a lot of pictures!

🤓

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Really nice collected tree.

Resist the urge to start working on it too soon. Give it at least 2 years before doing anything else.
Exactly Leo! I won't, that is one of my rules as well when it comes to collecting trees! My first trip of collected Utah Junipers has just passed the two year mark and those have grown tremendously and will look to be working on those in 2021.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very nice Tree!!!

Now that foliage will “revert” or “adapt” once containerized, right? Just curious..

Take a lot of pictures!

🤓
Thanks HLF! Definitely will, in the few years that I have been collecting Utah Junipers and watching them through the collection process, the trees foliage will turn either a darker more natural green or turn a brighter more florescent green with each shade of green having huge meaning. Darker more natural green = healthy tree and on its way to recovery
Brighter florescent green = unhappy tree and declining
Even though trees that turn a brighter more florescent green are less likely to make it, once in awhile one will make it and turn to the happier green and start to flourish.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work! Now let it recover for a good two years

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fantastic pick, Housguy! This has great potential. The movement in the trunks is really nice. I like the lower sub-trunk a lot.

It looks like you know what you're doing regarding collected Junipers. Mostly pumice substrate. Mist it often. Fingers crossed that it makes it.🤞🏻

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Mostly pumice substrate. Mist it often. Fingers crossed that it makes it
Thanks Misfit11! I use a mix of 2/3 pumice and 1/3 lava rock and my collected trees seem to like that combination and do well in it. Yes, mist in the morning and evening and if I am off that day, also in the afternoon sometimes.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Looking good so far. Is this one back out in sun yet? If the tips are greening up, it's growing roots and can tolerate morning sun for sure. Make sure that lowest left trunk gets plenty of sun to remain strong as it really sets up this one for something special... the Mother/Daughter is strong in this one. Good luck!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It is in a spot where is gets some more sun and mostly shaded throughout the afternoon. Agree on the mother/daughter relationship, that lowest trunk will be in final design for sure. Thanks Dav4

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I went collecting at Inyo last month also. Here's my haul... 5 junipers, 6 lodgepoles, 2 western white pines, and 1 hemlock. All are doing well so far. I plant in straight pumice that I gather at Mammoth Mountain. The junipers are in my cold greenhouse with bottom heat and auto misting every four hours and are starting to push growth.

mammorth.jpg

Top Bottom