Utah Juniper 2020

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Really nice tree! I collected this monster RMJ from a friend’s ranch about four days before you got yours. It’s about seven feet across with a seven inch base. Keeping its color so far, but as I’m sure you know, it can take many weeks for a juniper to die. I won’t relax until it’s pushing growth in the spring!
8646455F-33EA-4E64-A91F-EF3AFAAD2141.jpeg

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice pickup PinonJ, I know, it is nervous time until you see that definitive growth and then even after that, I am not really relaxed until a collected tree reaches 2+ years and growing strong. Good luck with your RMJ!

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's recovering really well, congratulations! I haven't been too lucky in finding a good juniper in Mammoth... mostly just pines for me.
Thanks! On the Mammoth side, you won't find many or any Utah Junipers, they are across the valley in the White mountains, but you can get the permit from the forestry office in Mammoth.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks! On the Mammoth side, you won't find many or any Utah Junipers, they are across the valley in the White mountains, but you can get the permit from the forestry office in Mammoth.
I get my permit at Bishop.

Bu-Jetjet

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Don't think so, needs to be from the forestry dept. and I think there office is in Mammoth only, not sure if there is one in Bishop.
There is. I get mine from the ranger station. We can argue about it, if you want 🤣

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice tree! I collected this monster RMJ from a friend’s ranch about four days before you got yours. It’s about seven feet across with a seven inch base. Keeping its color so far, but as I’m sure you know, it can take many weeks for a juniper to die. I won’t relax until it’s pushing growth in the spring!
View attachment 341507
Amazing to get such tree with so little roots;). Will be interesting to see both these trees developed over time.

Last edited:

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice man, keep posting and happy hunting
Thanks, heading out this Nov. for our next trip, hopefully I can find something remotely close to that tree :)

would a collected utah juniper survive in a western north carolina?
I don't know how your climate is there, but it is a drought tolerant juniper and seems to acclimate well to new environments. Probably.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I went collecting at Inyo last month also. Here's my haul... 5 junipers, 6 lodgepoles, 2 western white pines, and 1 hemlock. All are doing well so far. I plant in straight pumice that I gather at Mammoth Mountain. The junipers are in my cold greenhouse with bottom heat and auto misting every four hours and are starting to push growth.

View attachment 341499
How are your trees doing Paul? Seems like my Lodgepole pines took a beating in this very hot summer that just passed. I hope they survive!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
How are your trees doing Paul? Seems like my Lodgepole pines took a beating in this very hot summer that just passed. I hope they survive!
Lost one lodgepole. the others are going strong, Junipers are good too, just took them out of the mist house last week. Their roots had grown out of the pots into the ground!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do you folks remove the bark on these junipers to get rid of the boring beetles that infest junipers?

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Do you folks remove the bark on these junipers to get rid of the boring beetles that infest junipers?
You definitely can, really depends on the artist's desire, but most people do from what I have seen. I will probably remove the outer bark on this tree when I start to work on it, but it is on a wait and see basis at the moment.

Top Bottom