Utah Juniper plans.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Collected this at White Mountain a few years ago and have been looking at it and planning. Let me know what you think. Work will start next spring. (Please excuse my amateurish photo editing.)
utah juniper 121511 003.jpg
How it looks now.
utah juniper 121511 001.jpg
The new planting angle.
utah juniper 121511 001 future.jpg
The plan.

round pot.jpg
Thinking of a pot like this.

Paul

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know the scale of the pot or tree so I had to guess.

Attachments

• BOnsai-utah-juniper.jpg
    BOnsai-utah-juniper.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 46
  • BOnsai-utah-3.jpg
    BOnsai-utah-3.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Really nice material. Would you consider leaving the top branches and keeping the nice deadwood piece? More of like an informal upright?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I would be inclined to try and develop this as an informal upright, using the upper branches to create the apex. The cascading branch, in my opinion, doesn't have much taper or character, either(could just be the pictures). I think your thought is ok, but I can't help think a better tree could be made with what is offered. It's very nice material. Good luck with it,

Dave

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I tend to agree /w Dav4 on this, at the min. don't flat cut the top off, leave some jin, at least for a while, then if you want take it off.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Interesting tree, I'd like to see some better pictures if you get a chance.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Paul, I hate to see you remove the rest of the tree just for a cascade. A cascade is too easy and common design. Can you think of any other design to incorporate the rest of the tree?

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul, I think what the guys are saying has some merit. A full tilt in the opposite direction with the 2 heavy branches going left and a bit downward (even if jinned) and the apex wired down to the right or flattened some. It would require removal of a few low branches.

I do like the pot selected for this tree.

Maybe someone can try that virt.

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Everyone,

I also posted a thread like this on the IBC forum and the comments were much the same as yours. This is exactly why I am hooked on these forums. I really appreciate all the other opinions and input. As a result, I think I will go with what several have suggested and style the tree as a moyogi. Look at the great virt done by Rob on IBC. http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8620-utah-juniper-thinking-about-the-future
I don't know about the rest of you, but often I start looking at a tree in a certain way and need outside eyes to see its best attributes. That's why I belong to three bonsai clubs, study with Peter Adams and Ryan Neil, and hang out on the forums.
Thank you all. I'll keep you posted as this tree develops.

Paul

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know about the rest of you, but often I start looking at a tree in a certain way and need outside eyes to see its best attributes. That's why I belong to three bonsai clubs, study with Peter Adams and Ryan Neil, and hang out on the forums.
Thank you all. I'll keep you posted as this tree develops.

Paul
Same here, Paul. When you have nice material like this, getting a "second opinion" prior to performing the surgery is a good idea, I think...wish it was mine to worry about.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Did some initial branch placement on this tree today. Now a couple of years for the foliage to fill in.

Utah Juniper 004.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like where this is going.. Maybe bring the apex down a bit to pull the whole design together and make it a little tighter. In any event, when it fills in. It is really going to be a nice bonsai.

Rob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like where this is going.. Maybe bring the apex down a bit to pull the whole design together and make it a little tighter. In any event, when it fills in. It is really going to be a nice bonsai.

Rob

what he said...

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Smoke and October... It's looking great, but I think a slightly more compact/rounded canopy would be perfect. :)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score

Rob

That's the plan.
Here's a virt of this tree done by Rob Kempinski on another forum:

utah_j11.jpg

Top Bottom