Utamaro Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hesitated in showing this Utamaro quince clump, because it goes against the fashion of flowering quince bonsai, but here it is anyway. I’ve been working on this clump since 2006. I began with 8 or 9 cuttings from Brent. Instead of short branches tightly ramified, this clump has very gangly branches, with relatively short internodes, and a hint of ramification. It has progressed very slowly. There are a few things I like about it. The branches are not straight. They change direction frequently with fairly sharp angles giving it an aged appearance. The “trunk,” which is made up of roots that I’ve raised gradually over the years, has finally coalesced into a very firm mass. Finally, the flowers are very red, and named after the Japanese print maker, Utamaro, who used a red very similar to the color of these blossoms. These flowers are what keep me going with this tree. I hope you enjoy them.
utamaro 3-31-13 ul.jpg

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Beautiful quince Fred.
I like the pot too. I don't know Utamaro. It's not on Brent's site since the last few yrs.
Ian

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, he doesn't carry it now, iant. The pot is Yixing, Chinese of modern manufacture. Utamaro is a Japonica quince. It will keep blooming through June.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I appreciate seeing quince in bloom :)

Just about every one of mine are in full bloom.

Saturday, I repotted my red shohin chojubai into a new health pot. It needed it's angles changed
and came out rather nice.

Thanks fred, wish we lived closer

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Dick, my Chojubai lost a lot of it's early buds to frost, it's in the ground for one yr. I may take it out and pot it up so this doesn't happen again. Too bad, it grew quite a bit in the ground.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Chris, I have never put a chojubai in the ground. other quinces yes. maybe i'm missing out on some better growth as the red version takes forever. Orange and white dispite the pot seem to do alright. Where did you stick the chojubai in the direction of the sun. South?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good colors Fred. I joined the ranks, drank the punch, and bought a pair of Chojubai which arrived today. Not sure where I'll plant these behemoths...probably need to wait and get help from a friend with a backhoe. Probably need to keep them away from the house so they don't tear up the foundation.

Honestly, quite excited to see them grow...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 43

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you've definitely got to watch the house foundation with those guys around. And the PLUMBING!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd be more concerned with critters...voles, rabbits, mice. They seem particularly fond of quince. I may have lost one to vole damage this winter.

Chris

P.S. Fred, I like your quince. Nice structure (look forward to seeing it evolve) and beautiful flowers.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rodents can be a problem. In 2006, an alpha chipmunk completely destroyed a chojubai white that I was very fond of. Most of the problems I've had with squirrels and chipmunks, though, involved digging holes in the soil. Rodents are maddening.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice to see the Quince Fred.I had two going since last year.Then I bought a couple of the bohemoth type that Brian has too.I've been thinking about propogating them.I will show you a picture of what I achieved in a year on one of them.I want to make a cascade.I will probably put in a colander next repotting.Yes it is going to be in a pot of some sort for the long term.I enjoy them.I also like Hawthorns too,especially the laevigata type.You got a nice quince their,thanks for posting.

Attachments

• IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 16

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The second picture looks like a natural cascade starter. When you begin with a cutting or a nursery plant, as Bill Valavanis says, you have control. It's an exciting prospect.

Top Bottom