Utamaro Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Utamaro flowering quince is blooming now. Last fall, I lopped off about 2/3 of the top because it was too gangly. It has recovered well, though some trunks are a little slow to leaf out. I’m hoping this chop induces ramification. Even so, the flowers are enjoyable, the largest red ones I have.

Attachments

• ul utamaro 4-7-14.jpg
    ul utamaro 4-7-14.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 346

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is elegant! Nice picture as well! I do not know about ramification with that cultivar but I do hope it works out. Brilliant blooms indeed :D

Grimmy

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful flowers. Keep us posted as to how the ramification develops...it's got a good basic structure.

Chris

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love quince!!!! What are you plans for its future?

Ramification, ramification, ramification...somehow. Quince, as most here know, don't ramify easily, so I'll have to try a lot of things if this chop doesn't do it.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice trunk and base you got there, it looks ancient then the flowers counter it...I love it. I hope you get ramification well. :)

I am experimenting with mine and seems like to get ramification, you need to prune after the branch have hardened.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kyuzo Murata suggests summer pruning of almost hardened off branches, via leaf pruning. I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it will work on this cultivar, but I thought I would try it on one branch to see what happened.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, and the pot is perfect for it.

ed

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my Utamaro Flowering Quince, almost a year later. Some ramification has happened, but it is difficult to see because the quince leafed out much earlier this year than previously. As a result, the flowers are nestled in among the leaves. This tree is one of those that does well under my policy of ignoring it as much as possible. I feed it a lot and prune it...that's about it.

ul utamaro 3-20-15.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very nice little tree. I'd never heard of that cultivar. If I were still looking for new plants . . .

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice little tree. I'd never heard of that cultivar. If I were still looking for new plants . . .

Flowering Quince or Chaenomeles japonica 'Utamaro'. Utamaro is or perhaps was a well known Japanese Block Print Artist and that cultivar was named after him. It is said to be dwarf but I think they refer to the foliage and not the plant itself. No matter what any Nursery tries to tell you they grow to 3 foot easy :rolleyes:

Grimmy

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This quince is indeed named after Utamaro, but more specifically, it is named after the shade of red he used in his prints, which is quite distinctive when compared to reds used by other print makers contemporary with him. The flowers are said to match that red.

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Amazing....I just picked up a Quince today to eventually Bonsai. Seeing yours is pure inspiration. Thank you for sharing....

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How did you make or process that picture/photo, it looks and feels like a drawing, very nice. Maybe accidental but nice anyway.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not accidental. I begin with an HDR (high dynamic range) photograph, one that combines two exposures. Then, I process it in Photoshop CC, accenting the HDR toning. Then, I run it through Light Room. I sharpen it there, as well as do some other processing, if the picture needs it. Finally, I spend a long time looking at it in Photoshop, making sure that everything I want visible in the picture is actually visible. At that point, if not everything is visible as I want, I may look at earlier exposures, or I may use Photoshop to add more light to a part I want highlighted. Then, I'll copy and paste that portion back into the original picture. I don't always do this, but in a given picture, I might.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's not accidental. I begin with an HDR (high dynamic range) photograph, one that combines two exposures. Then, I process it in Photoshop CC, accenting the HDR toning. Then, I run it through Light Room. I sharpen it there, as well as do some other processing, if the picture needs it. Finally, I spend a long time looking at it in Photoshop, making sure that everything I want visible in the picture is actually visible. At that point, if not everything is visible as I want, I may look at earlier exposures, or I may use Photoshop to add more light to a part I want highlighted. Then, I'll copy and paste that portion back into the original picture. I don't always do this, but in a given picture, I might.

Lightroom does hdr now, joins two or more raw files and gives you a raw file equivalent. Time to ditch photoshop.

For the second part, you can use a brush and use the shadow slider.

Top Bottom