Utamaro Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It does look orange. That's a pretty accurate picture of what you see looking at this tree. Got the slab from Dave Lowman @ DaSu.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I grow all my quince in full sun. Sun promotes flowering, short internodes, everything desirable. Of course, you have to water and then water again.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've decided the white oval pot, as much as I like it, is just a bit too big for this tree, so I bought a yellow Yamaaki rectangle that is 5" less wide. As the Utamaro is still flowering, if I do repot it, I will do it in the late summer or very early fall, as usual. Consequently, I did this virtual to see how the quince, in bloom, looks in the new container.

ul utamaro yellow 5-15-16_Panorama1.jpg

What do you think?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What do you think?
Since you asked...the pot is one of my favorite Yamaaki pots, especially as it ages. Still need to grab one.
The color of the pot is excellent with the tree, and the blooms. Killer colors: red yellow green, bright all.
But...the shape and size is far too heavy for the tree, and since it's such a bold color, it really acts more like a gold-plated boat anchor than a playful pairing. I can see a mokko-shaped or oval yellow Koyo filling the bill perfectly.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
>>But...the shape and size is far too heavy for the tree...

You have a point, Brian. I was a little surprised at how big the pot appears even though it's 5" smaller than the pot it's in now. Thanks for your input.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was a little surprised at how big the pot appears even though it's 5" smaller than the pot it's in now.

I think the brightness of the picture and white background are making it stand out a lot. With a dark background and less light I bet it looks a 100 percent different ;)

Grimmy

Top Bottom