UV LED Supplemental Lighting

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello All- Anyone experimented with using supplemental UV LED's like the Spider Farmer model listed below for Tropical Bonsai:

If so, how did you use the light and what were your findings?

Happy Trees!
RG

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There is no way for me to comment on the light, because they don't provide spectral intensity charts or info.

Who knows how good it is, when we don't know how much light it produces, and what spectrum? All we know is that it burns 30 watts...

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
Any experience at all w/the use UVA LED lamps for Bonsai?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why do you want UV? They use UV A lights for cannabis to stress them out, believing this will increase the THC or the oils or whatever quality of the harvest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t pay a lot of attention to PAR when buying a light, mainly wattage, price and size, but I wouldn’t get a UV only light. I’ve had pretty good luck with the MARS “blurple” LED lights on Amazon, and pretty good bang for the buck. No constant bulb replacements like T5.
Some older pictures and ficus:DDE6CCE6-33A2-4FDD-B62B-E90AC043C14B.jpegA58A0739-BA0A-44FD-9F68-0504325F843E.jpegC7D0B9B8-EDF5-48F2-A06B-B21965EB4BAB.jpeg

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why do you want UV? They use UV A lights for cannabis to stress them out, believing this will increase the THC or the oils or whatever quality of the harvest.
Precisely. What are you trying to accomplish? UV will trigger anthocyanins pigment creation for sun protection. You'll see more purple in the leaves. That's assuming they have enough of the PAR sepectrum from other lights to be happy. If you're trying to minimize internode length you want to maximize your Red:Far Red ratio.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pure uv t5 styles they say will give the most bang for the buck……..watch out thought they can apparently destry your dna……pure uv lamp!!!
Do not let skin exposed….
I used them on pines and chinese elms……definately gave a more robust look and stature.
Only let them on for maybe 5 minutes every two hours throughout the cycle.Quite intense and will kill a plant.

11A5B62D-75D0-46CA-88A4-19AC45812B0B.jpeg

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
The pure uv t5 styles they say will give the most bang for the buck……..watch out thought they can apparently destry your dna……pure uv lamp!!!
Do not let skin exposed….
I used them on pines and chinese elms……definately gave a more robust look and stature.
Only let them on for maybe 5 minutes every two hours throughout the cycle.Quite intense and will kill a plant.

View attachment 467576
Thanks, I was curious because it seems like there could be some benefits is utilized properly.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, I was curious because it seems like there could be some benefits is utilized properly.
Yup….dont forget…pure uv…..extremely hazerdous to skin and eyes…… Since these bulbs or a pure UV light they say they’re many many many many times stronger than the suns UV and extremely dangerous….. man.

A lot of people say it’s better to get these cheap T5 pure UV‘s because if you don’t like them you didn’t waste no money ….maybe 20 bucks!!!

They will harden the plants up a tad too…which is kind of nice

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
I
Yup….dont forget…pure uv…..extremely hazerdous to skin and eyes…… Since these bulbs or a pure UV light they say they’re many many many many times stronger than the suns UV and extremely dangerous….. man.

A lot of people say it’s better to get these cheap T5 pure UV‘s because if you don’t like them you didn’t waste no money ….maybe 20 bucks!!!

I understand, I actually ordered a new Spider Farmer SF 2000 as an upgrade from my SF 600 that I currently use in my 2x4 Tent and I got a combo that included the Spider Farmer UV 30s for and extra $30 bucks, so I figured why not.

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score

Still haven't decided if I will use them or not. Maybe I will run them twice a day for a couple mins.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Still haven't decided if I will use them or not. Maybe I will run them twice a day for a couple mins.
I think I ran mine once an hour for five minutes In the inside 12 hours of the 20 hour light cycle.

Will need some distance it’s good to have them about 2 feet above the canopy they will do damage to leaves quite quickly, but yes does doing marked improvement in photosynthetically and brix properties

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
I think I ran mine once an hour for five minutes In the inside 12 hours of the 20 hour light cycle.

Will need some distance it’s good to have them about 2 feet above the canopy they will do damage to leaves quite quickly, but yes does doing marked improvement in photosynthetically and brix properties
Very good info! I'm currently running my light 14hrs a day and 10hrs off. I was considering starting w/5 mins during hrs 5-9 of the 14hr cycle to represent the early afternoon sun.

I will need to digital timer to put them on as my mechanical timers only work in 30 min increments.

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score

I see your in SE PA. Have you been to Nature's way or Linglestown Nurseries. I was told they are nice but haven't made it up yet.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
UV is the wrong spectrum for plant growth. You want full spectum or leaning toward the color spectrum plants use
Ive used LED lights for freshwater planted aquariums and for coral aquariums
Both have worked fine as long as they put out the right spectrum and enough intensity of light for the plants and zooxanthellae in the corals

groffralph

Sapling
Reaction score
No…..I’ll have to research it.
I purchase trees from a guy on Ebay who lives up past York, PA and I go up there to pick up the trees. He worked at one of them. He's a great resource!

Top Bottom