UV lights in cold storage

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t get it. Why would you use UV lights at all for plants, regardless of season? It’s the wrong wavelength for photosynthesis, AFAIK. Likely to just do damage to the eyes of the human being entering the area to water trees, if they’re not careful about turning the UV lamps off prior to approaching, and maybe also cause some leaf burn if it’s too intense.
The right amount of UV can help reduce latent fungal and bacterial loads. If it is applied to tropical trees, for example, they are more likely to retain their UV hardiness and experience a better transition out of winter storage to spring outdoor exposure.

Every year I’ve started fruit and vegetable seedlings indoors I’ve had quite a song and dance in gradually exposing them to UV. For other gardeners this shuffle and anxiety should be pretty apparent 😎

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The right amount of UV can help reduce latent fungal and bacterial loads. If it is applied to tropical trees, for example, they are more likely to retain their UV hardiness and experience a better transition out of winter storage to spring outdoor exposure.

Every year I’ve started fruit and vegetable seedlings indoors I’ve had quite a song and dance in gradually exposing them to UV. For other gardeners this shuffle and anxiety should be pretty apparent 😎
I learned something new today. Thanks!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Put the trees on the ground--on some sort of brick or other support that will give the bottoms of the pots air space over the ground--important for drainage during the winter.. Dump mulch on and over the pots top (up to three inches). Before placing the trees under the mulch water them well. After applying the mulch, water it well too.
wouldn’t brick remove heat ? Gravel is a good idea , or what about placing pots into plastic nursery trays on the ground, they are alittle elevated and create some space for drainage. But yeah wouldn’t brick or a stone remove heat or is that insulated once you put mulch around it. What about if you just put on grass, till you need mulch , I didn’t think that would cause too much blockage from drainage unless your pot has no feet.

Last edited:

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
wouldn’t brick be a heat sink? Gravel is a good idea , or what about placing pots into plastic nursery trays on the ground, they are alittle elevated and create some space for drainage. But yeah wouldn’t brick or a stone be a hat sink or is that insulated once you put mulch around it. What about if you just put on grass, till you need mulch , I didn’t think that would cause too much blockage from drainage unless your pot has no feet.
A heat sink is what you want. The whole point of putting the pots on the ground is thermal stability. What you don’t want is for the roots to freeze and thaw and freeze again repeatedly. That kills trees.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A heat sink is what you want. The whole point of putting the pots on the ground is thermal stability. What you don’t want is for the roots to freeze and thaw and freeze again repeatedly. That kills trees.
I meant wouldn’t brick remove heat. I understand putting pots on ground which is what I do, but isn’t placing pots on brick counterintuitive?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I meant wouldn’t brick remove heat. I understand putting pots on ground which is what I do, but isn’t placing pots on brick counterintuitive?
In putting the pot on the ground, mulching it in, and perhaps also using some sort of structure as a windbreak, we’re doing our best to reduce convective heat transfer with the air. The reason we want to prevent heat transfer with air to the extent possible is because air temperature is highly variable. The difference between the high and low air temperature on a typical day is often 20 degrees Fahrenheit or more. It might be 45 F at noon and 25 F at midnight. If our soil temperature fluctuated with the air temperature, we’d be in big trouble with roots freezing and thawing over and over, causing frost damage and causing trees to come out of dormancy too early. What’s the difference between the daily high and low temperatures of the ground? Not much. So, if we have our bonsai pots in thermal contact with the ground and insulated from the air with a layer of mulch, we can expect to maintain a stable temperature. Like earth, brick is an insulator with a high heat capacity. Brick on earth is going to be in thermal equilibrium with the earth for the most part. The temperature of the brick will be stable, changing slowly with respect to changes in ambient air temperature. The pot and the brick will be in thermal equilibrium for the most part. When contact with the air heats the pot up so that it is a little warmer than the brick, heat will be transferred from pot to brick. When contact with the air chills the pot so it is colder than the brick, heat will be transferred from the brick to the pot.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In putting the pot on the ground, mulching it in, and perhaps also using some sort of structure as a windbreak, we’re doing our best to reduce convective heat transfer with the air. The reason we want to prevent heat transfer with air to the extent possible is because air temperature is highly variable. The difference between the high and low air temperature on a typical day is often 20 degrees Fahrenheit or more. It might be 45 F at noon and 25 F at midnight. If our soil temperature fluctuated with the air temperature, we’d be in big trouble with roots freezing and thawing over and over, causing frost damage and causing trees to come out of dormancy too early. What’s the difference between the daily high and low temperatures of the ground? Not much. So, if we have our bonsai pots in thermal contact with the ground and insulated from the air with a layer of mulch, we can expect to maintain a stable temperature. Like earth, brick is an insulator with a high heat capacity. Brick on earth is going to be in thermal equilibrium with the earth for the most part. The temperature of the brick will be stable, changing slowly with respect to changes in ambient air temperature. The pot and the brick will be in thermal equilibrium for the most part. When contact with the air heats the pot up so that it is a little warmer than the brick, heat will be transferred from pot to brick. When contact with the air chills the pot so it is colder than the brick, heat will be transferred from the brick to the pot.
I know how winter protection works. I’m just questioning whether placing the pot on a brick on the ground , is going to have same heat stability as just placing the pot on the ground in direct contact. I don’t think it will have equilibrium with the thermal heat of the earth.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I know how winter protection works. I’m just questioning whether placing the pot on a brick on the ground , is going to have same heat stability as just placing the pot on the ground in direct contact. I don’t think it will have equilibrium with the thermal heat of the earth.
I think your argument Is valid. Although, a cement block will be thoroughly climate neutral after a while in contact with the ground. To elevate it with a block off the ground seems counterproductive though. Especially when your Mulching around and over the pot. 2 years ago i had to wait until 3-4” of ice around my plants thawed to get them out. About 30 plants with no casualties.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about conifers that are hardiness for zone 8b and I am in 7a. I have them in the basement that’s around 45-50 but have them under t5 lights. They’re less than a year old if that matters
I’m not aware of a conifer that cannot go below zone 8b. That seems like the tree’s upper range of winter temps, e.g. “above this it won’t have enough of a dormancy period.”

Do you mind telling us what the species is, how many hours of light they had at the peak of summer, and what their buds look like right now? I suspect the basement temps and lights might be problematic. (In addition to that I’m a bit suspect of the air flow; do you have a gentle fan blowing across them?) How close are the lights, how much wattage are they, and what on/off cycles do you use? I’ve had T5 HOs for about 7 years, so I might be able to fudge the math for you.

In zone 7a you should generally be good by only placing plants on the ground. If a cold front brings you down to below about 20°F for more than a day then you might need another minor step up, like placing all of them immediately next to the house with some material surrounding the pots.

I think you’re being very thoughtful and careful but possibly on the verge of overdoing it.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's going to be pretty darn close to the same. What are bricks made of? Earth. That said, I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of bricks if you didn't already have an area with something like that. The suggested purpose for putting the pots on brick was drainage. Well, there are other ways to ensure good drainage. My pots go on the ground in an area where there is already a layer of cypress mulch on the ground. The pots drain well enough sitting on that. Works for me in zone 5b.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's going to be pretty darn close to the same. What are bricks made of? Earth. That said, I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of bricks if you didn't already have an area with something like that. The suggested purpose for putting the pots on brick was drainage. Well, there are other ways to ensure good drainage. My pots go on the ground in an area where there is already a layer of cypress mulch on the ground. The pots drain well enough sitting on that. Works for me in zone 5b.
Yeah mine are placed on ground in big nursery trays if they are smaller pots , so there is some buffer with pot and ground to let better drainage,bigger pots are just touching ground directly , next to my house with burlap and wood pallets for wind block. When it get colder I’ll use mulch packed in around pots. 5b is way colder than 6b.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
from what Ryan is telling us:
I get what your saying,but cannot help to wonder if he would say differently if he had no way of providing this light during dormancy.
In reality To me,I say yes of course.If I had the proper setup like a cold greenhouse that I imagine Ryan has access too.

I could be envyous though🤔

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get what your saying,but cannot help to wonder if he would say differently if he had no way of providing this light during dormancy.
In reality To me,I say yes of course.If I had the proper setup like a cold greenhouse that I imagine Ryan has access too.

I could be envyous though🤔
Absolutely. None of that was “it’s not possible” or “it’s bad” but “there’s better”

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is biology vss practicallity. For a long time in biology it is know that photosynthesis in winter takes place through the bark. When I was a student a few decades back this was already taught. Only bonsai people seem to think that life stops in winter. It does not. Next to this, plants use length of day as a co-trigger for spring. So providing natural light to the tree sounds like a logical thing to do.

But easy for me. I am in 7a. My trees do not need protection as it does not get really cold here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
wouldn’t brick remove heat ? Gravel is a good idea , or what about placing pots into plastic nursery trays on the ground, they are alittle elevated and create some space for drainage. But yeah wouldn’t brick or a stone remove heat or is that insulated once you put mulch around it. What about if you just put on grass, till you need mulch , I didn’t think that would cause too much blockage from drainage unless your pot has no feet.
I think you're overthinking it. The bricks are going to be pretty much the same temp as the foot of mulch on top of them. The reason for them is simply to insure drainage. I would not place pots directly onto grass, mulch etc. Pots settle over time into less firm surfaces, particularly when it's wet. The weight of a pot full of rain, combined with softened ground, can push the feet into the ground. The bricks provide more surface area to support that weight.

Look, all this isn't scientific. This process has worked for me for over 25 years. The OP is in No. Va. I am working in the same area.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’m not aware of a conifer that cannot go below zone 8b. That seems like the tree’s upper range of winter temps, e.g. “above this it won’t have enough of a dormancy period.”

Do you mind telling us what the species is, how many hours of light they had at the peak of summer, and what their buds look like right now? I suspect the basement temps and lights might be problematic. (In addition to that I’m a bit suspect of the air flow; do you have a gentle fan blowing across them?) How close are the lights, how much wattage are they, and what on/off cycles do you use? I’ve had T5 HOs for about 7 years, so I might be able to fudge the math for you.

In zone 7a you should generally be good by only placing plants on the ground. If a cold front brings you down to below about 20°F for more than a day then you might need another minor step up, like placing all of them immediately next to the house with some material surrounding the pots.

I think you’re being very thoughtful and careful but possibly on the verge of overdoing it.
Pinus massoniana aka Chinese Red pine. 6400 T5 54W grow lights. 8 of them in a four foot fixture. They’re getting about 9 hours of light. The lights are about 12 inches away from the tallest ones. I do have a gentle fan that I turn on about every other day. I germinated them when I was in south Ga and now I’ve moved to North Alabama. They got their first low thirty degrees weather and most of them turned slightly purple. Some of the smaller cuttings actually turned brown on me. 5EE78042-453C-486B-A872-1448AF89E1BA.jpeg029F11DA-5635-4AAD-A0DC-9EA4FDEE01ED.jpegFE5A02A2-9DC9-4B5F-BDC5-F83C3D044C94.jpeg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinus massoniana aka Chinese Red pine. 6400 T5 54W grow lights. 8 of them in a four foot fixture. They’re getting about 9 hours of light. The lights are about 12 inches away from the tallest ones. I do have a gentle fan that I turn on about every other day. I germinated them when I was in south Ga and now I’ve moved to North Alabama. They got their first low thirty degrees weather and most of them turned slightly purple. Some of the smaller cuttings actually turned brown on me. View attachment 410601View attachment 410602View attachment 410603
Neat! Those look generally okay. I’d keep the fans going constantly to reduce fungal risk, increase plant respiration, and to make the growth a bit stronger (without wind they end up spindly and easily broken).

I’ve had pine seedlings turn purple before and they just seemed weak and like they were harboring disease. Hang on to those ones at your own risk 😅

Are you planning to do this just this winter? Those seem like trees that still need a winter dormancy period, so I’d plan to keep them outside in future winters (but you do you). In the nursery trades, propagation literature says you can generally “force” trees through two consecutive seasons without much of a dormancy period, but you’re possibly pushing your luck.

The color and intensity of your lighting are great, but I question the duration. Are you intending for the 9-hour periods to be brief, like for the next couple of weeks? It seems like the worst of both worlds — all this effort to keep them going over the winter but short photoperiods that will keep them a bit weak and lethargic. I’d aim to increase the duration of light by one hour every other week.

I’m excited to see what you come up with! I can tell you’re putting a lot of thought into it. Cheers.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is biology vss practicallity. For a long time in biology it is know that photosynthesis in winter takes place through the bark. When I was a student a few decades back this was already taught. Only bonsai people seem to think that life stops in winter. It does not. Next to this, plants use length of day as a co-trigger for spring. So providing natural light to the tree sounds like a logical thing to do.

But easy for me. I am in 7a. My trees do not need protection as it does not get really cold here.
Yes…For most of the winter,even where I’m at is 7 I believe.
Just pop the lid during the day….its in the shade,the box I have about a foot and a half in the ground.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Neat! Those look generally okay. I’d keep the fans going constantly to reduce fungal risk, increase plant respiration, and to make the growth a bit stronger (without wind they end up spindly and easily broken).

I’ve had pine seedlings turn purple before and they just seemed weak and like they were harboring disease. Hang on to those ones at your own risk 😅

Are you planning to do this just this winter? Those seem like trees that still need a winter dormancy period, so I’d plan to keep them outside in future winters (but you do you). In the nursery trades, propagation literature says you can generally “force” trees through two consecutive seasons without much of a dormancy period, but you’re possibly pushing your luck.

The color and intensity of your lighting are great, but I question the duration. Are you intending for the 9-hour periods to be brief, like for the next couple of weeks? It seems like the worst of both worlds — all this effort to keep them going over the winter but short photoperiods that will keep them a bit weak and lethargic. I’d aim to increase the duration of light by one hour every other week.

I’m excited to see what you come up with! I can tell you’re putting a lot of thought into it. Cheers.
Thanks for the response. I’m kinda new to this in a sense. I bought the literati bonsai book and a good bit of those were of this species so I figured I’d give it a shot. It’s already been in the mid 20s here about 5-7 days. So I’m not sure they can handle the winter. Not sure what to do honestly. I just bumped the light duration Dow a bit as I’m trying to mimic what nature is during. I will need to get an oscillating fan I think. I will potentially just put them in the garage with no light. I could put them outside but Sheffield’s says minimum hardiness is an 8. Love to hear your thoughts and advice. I don’t plan on keeping them under grow lights every year. Just wasn’t sure what to do after they got some cold weather and turned purple.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the response. I’m kinda new to this in a sense. I bought the literati bonsai book and a good bit of those were of this species so I figured I’d give it a shot. It’s already been in the mid 20s here about 5-7 days. So I’m not sure they can handle the winter. Not sure what to do honestly. I just bumped the light duration Dow a bit as I’m trying to mimic what nature is during. I will need to get an oscillating fan I think. I will potentially just put them in the garage with no light. I could put them outside but Sheffield’s says minimum hardiness is an 8. Love to hear your thoughts and advice. I don’t plan on keeping them under grow lights every year. Just wasn’t sure what to do after they got some cold weather and turned purple.
Ohh, gotcha.

It’s complicated. I think you’re doing the right thing (for now!) to trick them into slight dormancy — if they grew all winter you’d be out of space for them!

You don’t want them to languish, however, so you’ll want to make the days get longer in duration pretty soon. Since they are indoors and you have control then I think you can go full in on boosting them over the winter. Don’t worry about the indoor day durations being longer than outdoor. Trees can handle two years of funky dormancy with little impact — especially vigorous seedlings.

Overall your trees look to have a touch of chlorosis, like a general iron or nitrogen deficiency. But know the important details — you’d be wasting time and money to supplement nitrogen and iron. I think your water pH is probably too high (like 8 or 9) and so that’s what is causing your trees to be unable to use the available nitrogen and/or iron.

If you’re sciency and up for experimentation then try acetic acid (vinegar) to lower water pH to 6.5 for a while. If they’re still off colored then maybe your water has very little calcium and magnesium. There’s a liquid Cal Mag product to provide them. Follow the label directions.

Good luck on these experiments and this learning journey! It’s the horticultural fundamentals that will unlock your potential with bonsai.

Top Bottom