Vacation Woes

Bonsai Bonanza

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went on vacation for 2 months and had someone watering my plants. I was not once told that Nate (My Natal Plum) was drying out. . . Is there anything I can do to bring it back? Very little of it looks green on the outside.

Attachments

• 20210720_194739.jpg
    20210720_194739.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 89

Bonsai Bonanza

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2 more plants suffering from vacation. I have NO idea what happened here either, I was told everything was going fine. I NEED HELP

Attachments

• 20210720_195742.jpg
    20210720_195742.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210720_195734.jpg
    20210720_195734.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 85

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like under-watered. Put them outside in full sun and water them every day. Don't give up, but don't bet the farm, either. If you see new buds but the old leaves don't look like they will return to normal, or some part of normal, cut the old leaves off with a scissors at the base of the leaf and leave the dry petiole (leaf stem) in place. It will drop off if the bud in the axil inflates. Give this process 6 weeks and do not let them suffer from drought.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most of us have had similar experience with trusted helpers looking after bonsai. Unfortunately very few people understand the sentimental value of our trees. Even seasoned gardeners don't understand that every day means EVERY day unless they ahve had bonsai experience.
I agree with @Forsoothe! this time. Many trees have the ability to stop water to leaves in order to preserve life in the trunk in the hope that water and better conditions will return. Soak all pots as soon as possible to properly re wet the soil then cross fingers and continue care to see if there is still life in any of these. Sometimes they bud up in a few weeks but some may wait weeks or even months before venturing new shoots.

You have now learned a couple of important bonsai lessons.

Good luck

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like under-watered. Put them outside in full sun and water them every day. Don't give up, but don't bet the farm, either. If you see new buds but the old leaves don't look like they will return to normal, or some part of normal, cut the old leaves off with a scissors at the base of the leaf and leave the dry petiole (leaf stem) in place. It will drop off if the bud in the axil inflates. Give this process 6 weeks and do not let them suffer from drought.
This is clear, concise information and exactly what you should do.
BTW, this odd word vacation, what does it mean?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is this period in which you contiously take the risk of loosing all your trees in order to go somewhere that is not home, pay a lot of money to other people to take care of you.
Is this construed by some people as fun?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My son actually did a great job when we were away a couple of weeks ago. Two more weeks of vacation left though, so I don't want to brag on him too much. 😏

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I think the hard part to explain to “helpers” is that you have to soak the plants thoroughly- not just spray em down with the hose till they look wet.
I Just lost a couple trees myself while on a week long Vay-cay!🙁

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Every day
Yes, also when you had rain
Yes, everything has to be wet, not just a little around the trunk. In fact, the outside is more important thant the trunk.
Yes, every day
Yes, DRENCH it. Dripping wet, running out of the pot.
Yes, even when it has rained

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My son actually did a great job when we were away a couple of weeks ago. Two more weeks of vacation left though, so I don't want to brag on him too much. 😏
Yes Carol, but that is Your Son. I am sure it is instilled in him. My son hates plants because he remembers planting trees with 42 inch rootballs with me by hand in hard packed red clay soil that looked like the surface of Mars .... when it was 96 degrees F and the only shade was the trees we were planting.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a sprinkler system set up on mine when I went on vaca, and a niece staying at my house that was supposed to keep an eye on everything. I lost a small satsuki azalea and a European beach forest, not to mention just a regular flowers in the flowerbeds around the house.Next year I will hire a company to take care of these when I go.

Top Bottom