Vacation Woes

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I could never enjoy bonsai until I set up a watering system. I've gone for ten day vacations and not worried about a tree. They have relatively inexpensive systems now that you can even control via your phone. With that and a cheap WiFi security camera setup you are generally good to go. All for less than the cost of a single decent tree.

However, it never hurts to have a bonsai friend that you trust swing by to take a look. One more reason why it is nice to have bonsai friends :)

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I could never enjoy bonsai until I set up a watering system. I've gone for ten day vacations and not worried about a tree. They have relatively inexpensive systems now that you can even control via your phone. With that and a cheap WiFi security camera setup you are generally good to go. All for less than the cost of a single decent tree.

However, it never hurts to have a bonsai friend that you trust swing by to take a look. One more reason why it is nice to have bonsai friends :)
That’s rad!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ugh
Sorry to see this

This is why I use a lawn sprinkler and a timer with a fresh set of batteries.

Way more reliable

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I use a watering system all the time. It is the single best thing I have done in bonsai. Most of the trees I have lost is because of missed watering while traveling for work or vacation. In Georgia, one single day missed in the summer sun can kill or ruin your tree. My timing varies. In the winter it may be twice a week for a few minutes. Fall every other day. Summer every day and for longer duration. I control by soil mix as much as I can. I start with a classic APL mix but use more pumice for conifers. Next year I plan to try a mix of only Akadama and Pumice. If I had majority refined conifers then it probably wouldn't be as easy but most of my stuff is deciduous. If something is sick or weak I just set aside for manual watering. Purists will say it will lead to large leafs or long internodes but they also have 50 fertilizer cakes on the soil and a pantry of apprentices to monitor. I don't fertilize very much comparatively. When on vacation, I also add lawn sprinkler on a timer as a backup.

Top Bottom