Valavanis 50th anniversary exhibit

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Everyone is cordially invited to visit the​

50th Anniversary Valavanis Bonsai Exhibit​

At the International Bonsai Colloquium, Friday and Saturday, June 7-8, 2013 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at the Holiday Inn Airport, 911 Brooks Avenue, Rochester, New York.

Five rooms will be filled with 22 vendors which will have everything for creating, maintaining and displaying your bonsai. Admission is FREE to the Anniversary bonsai exhibit and sales area.

Registrations are still open for the workshops, lecture/demonstrations, technical bonsai seminars, display seminar as well as the Saturday evening banquet where a benefit auction of an excellent private bonsai for the Monroe Community Hospital.

Additional details at:

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/files/1708315/uploaded/Colloquium/index.html

Make your travel arrangement now, you will not be disappointed!

Today I finished selecting the display tables for my 50th Anniversary Bonsai Exhibit. There are 35 individual bonsai displayed representing 28 different species and cultivars in 15 classical bonsai styles. There is one shohin bonsai composition and an educational display featuring Koto Hime Japanese maples.

Although I have well over 100 display tables I had a difficult time selecting the appropriate table design and size for each bonsai. Every time I select the perfect table it’s being used for another tree so decisions must be made to which table and bonsai are the best match. I’m trying to avoid placing a deciduous or flowering bonsai on a display table designed for evergreens. But the final result will truly be stunning and representative of my half century of bonsai study and passion.

Next: I’m continuing to combine companions (plants, ornaments or suiseki) with the main bonsai on display, then proceeding to select the appropriate low stand and finally a few well spaced hanging scrolls.

Make your travel arrangement now, you will not be disappointed!

Bill

DISPLAY-TABLES-2.jpg
Some of the selected display tables

DISPLAY-TABLES-1.jpg
A photo of each bonsai has been attached to the selected display table to make set up easier

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Finally finished selecting and preparing the 35 bonsai for my 50th Anniversary Exhibit. Display tables all selected too, as are the scrolls, suiseki and ornaments. Next up, selecting the companion plants. I have many to select from and hope they work to present the finest personal exhibit I've ever organized. Never again, too much work and stress... Please feel free to visit this special exhibit next weekend as well as the 22 vendors offing their finest supplies.

ACCENT-PLANTS.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bill...

I WISH I was going... I know it'll be amazing! Your tables are gorgeous, and I liked how you organized which is going with what. I hope you'll produce some kind of album for the display. I'd love to have it. :)

Having prepared only a few trees for such a professional kind of display, I can appreciate why you'd only choose to do an exhibit of this scope once. It'll be a rare treat for those who get to be there. I'm envious.

Congratulations and deepest thanks for your commitment to this art, and your service to us all. You've contributed more to American bonsai than many will ever know, and much of that was BEFORE you started the USNBE.

Warmly,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks,

Each display table has a small photo taped to it of the bonsai which has been matched. All the bonsai are numbered in the room and that number will be put on a small flag in each complimentary plant, that's tomorrows task.

Sorry, there will not be a commemorative album of the exhibit. Nearly every bonsai is included in my newest book which just arrived and is being sent out. Also everyone is invited to photograph the exhibit on their own for their own use.

Now, I'm concentrating on the magazine and the next US National Bonsai Exhibition.

Bill

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Then I might have to beg Dave DeGroot to go take a few photos for me. lol I certainly hope someone will post them, and I just heard about the book today from Dave. I'll have to get one.

I wish you every success next weekend!

Victrinia

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
No doubt it will be a great show Bill...be there in spirit!

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Worked with David de groot all day at the collection. he is so looking forward to being on hand and contributing. sorry to say will have to be there in spirit. :)

Top Bottom