Valavanis Benefit Auction

Reaction score
USDA Zone
As we have all heard, our friend William Valavanis recently had a fire that destroyed everything. Ron Lang, Andy Smith, and many other members of the bonsai community have put together a benefit auction in which all proceeds go to help rebuild.

All information on this auction can be found at http://www.langbonsai.com/ValavanisAuction.html

Let's put aside our differences today and direct our energies to helping with this auction. Those who can not bid, can help promote it, donate items, or just cheer it on.

Contact Ron Lang.

Will

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Will. I don't frequent bonsai sites daily so I did not know and I am shocked. How can we help? I'll donate some stuff to be auctioned. Who is organizing this, who do I need to contact etc. Either post back or PM me.

Bill has done so much for bonsai in the US I do feel the need to help. We all should. Wow. I'm at a loss for words.

Edit : I must have missed the contact Ron Lang in your post. Just sent him email. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I emailed Ron and got the following response:

Hello Graydon

Andy Smith and I have individually put up trees and a pot on our website. I then contacted several bonsai sites to see if they would promote our auctions. So far I have had positive responses to promote the auctions from: Jim Brant of BCI: Jim Brant <bciwebmaster@comcast.net>
Kevin Bailey of Internet Bonsai Club: <member@actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk> Will of Know.& Art of Bonsai:<will@artofbonsai.org> Paulene Muth of ABS: Pauline Muth <pauline@pfmbonsai.com>

Do you have a webpage? Could you set it up on your site with images and keep track of the bids? I think it would be best if you emailed the web masters yourself about your auction and also made it clear where on your site to go to find the auction information. I am sorry if you got the information that I was taking things for auction. I am afraid I am not able to do that.

Thanks Graydon for your generous offer for Bill, I hope you can work out the details.

Best,
Ron

I'll work on updating my site tomorrow and will add a link here if that is fine with the head nut (assuming it is). I wil also contact the persons listed above with my link.

So how about it people - can we gather together as a group and support someone who has undoubtedly guided all of us on our bonsai quest at one point or another? I would suggest offering up something for bid and sending the proceeds onward. Let's call it paying back Bill for all of his efforts that have helped us with our efforts.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is another auction I was emailed about earlier in the week.

Scroll about halfway down:
http://www.goldenarrowbonsai.com/catalog1.htm

Thank you, on this and the first auction, Andy Smith generously is donating all proceeds from this to the benefit. I'll add his link to AoB, KoB, IBF, and Bsite.

So how about it people - can we gather together as a group and support someone who has undoubtedly guided all of us on our bonsai quest at one point or another?
I'm all in.

Thanks for the updated information, I'll pass the word around.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe one of the many BT'ers here could help the Benefit out and post an announcement there as well?

Will

Asus101

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will there be a raffle or two for the victims of australian bushfires that has killed 181 people and left over 7000 people homeless?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will there be a raffle or two for the victims of australian bushfires that has killed 181 people and left over 7000 people homeless?

I am sure you did not mean to devalue the benefit auction for Bill or the effort of those who are trying to help this man who has given so much to the bonsai community.

Our hearts and prayers go out to the Australians of course, as well as to all those around the world who suffer daily due to fires, floods, wars, starvation, disease, illness, crime, famine, etc

Perhaps you could start a auction for your favorite cause, as Ron and Andy have?

For now, a couple people took their own time and resources and selflessly offered to help a fellow member of the bonsai community who is in need....you're a member of other forums Asus, such as BT, can you do the same and post a link to the benefit auction?

Will

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I posted both these links at BonsaiHelp.com A site mostly unrepresented here for some reason.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Many folks here know Bill, or have spoken with him at conventions, or purchased stock from him. It is a gesture of kindness for a member of the community.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Johng listed some links in another thread where those not able to participate in the auctions can still help out by subscribing to the International Bonsai Magazine or renewing their subscription.

The link for this is http://www.internationalbonsai.com/store/1708315/product/IBM

The Commemorative Album from the 1st National Bonsai Exhibition can be purchased at http://web.mac.com/williamnvalavanis/NATIONAL_BONSAI_EXHIBITION/COMMEMORATIVE_ALBUM.html[/URL]

Thanks for the links John,

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
After much ado my auction page is up. Ending on march 1st so there is plenty of time to bid.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
That is a very nice workstation!

Thanks Will, I appreciate that. I hope people take this as an opportunity to bid on it to not only try to win a workstation but also to help Bill.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Well the auction is over and the winning bidder was our own Bonsai Barry! Thanks for participating and helping out our cause!

Top Bottom