Valavanis bonsai blog

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Truly spectacular blog posts on Bill's site about his visit in Japan. He's at Shunka-en Bonai museum and a few other places.

Note the flowering/fruiting tree in the fourth photo in, particularly it's pot. Excellent "non-conventional" use of material and container. Showy (but restrained) without being obnoxiously "unconformist."

http://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/2015/11/19/2015-autumn-japan-bonsai-exploration-part-2/

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've started to like showy pots. The rule for me is for the pot to never be obnoxious nonconformist.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Last year I got an unusual pot from Mr. Kobayashi. I had no idea what to put in it, but got it anyways. In January, during a pizza lunch with my crew I looked through the greenhouse door and saw this Firethorn. Next year when it develops a full crop of fruit it will look better.

Just returned from my second full day at the Taikan Bonsai Exhibition, working on the photos now, GREAT trees and some different displays.
FIRETHORN-.jpg

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
I know of a phrase often used to display with a black pine as 松柏千年青 Shouhaku Sennen ni Ao. Which means 1,000 years the evergreens (literally pines and Junipers) blue (green in our Western lexicon)
The scroll seems to read 松柏千, but the last two characters do not seem to match the last two of the above, and the second character does not quite seem to read as Haku. Would be interesting to know the last two characters to understand the display better.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Last year I got an unusual pot from Mr. Kobayashi. I had no idea what to put in it, but got it anyways. In January, during a pizza lunch with my crew I looked through the greenhouse door and saw this Firethorn. Next year when it develops a full crop of fruit it will look better.

Just returned from my second full day at the Taikan Bonsai Exhibition, working on the photos now, GREAT trees and some different displays.
View attachment 87159

This is lovely! Something my mind seeing as a great pairing! Thanks for sharing...

@William N. Valavanis may I share your photo to my wall...love the pot compliments those berries. This is my thought wave thought process. As also a friend of mines. She would so love to see this photo.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I must say he is one of a few that always posts great content consistently; never fails to impress. Oh and his stock is really top notch too.

His blog as well as Eric's (Phutu) are definently my two favorite blogs. Always great photos, descriptions, and explanations!

Top Bottom