Valavanis Designs Two Displays For Winter Silhouette Bonsai Expo

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Check out my new blog entry featuring my personal thoughts on how I designed two displays for the Winter Silhouette Bonsai Expo at:

Please note these are "working" photos for design and not finalized. MAPLE-PAMPAS.JPG
HAWTHORN-MONDO.JPGWINTER SILHOUETTE.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can totally get not wanting to use the same accessory again. But, man do I love that incense burner with the hawthorn! Thank you for taking the time to share. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for sharing with is the interworking of your thought process. The companion pot being unglazed when the main pot is glazed. Is this also a common practice in Japan or just your preference? Very good right up.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
From what I have seen, it Is not so uncommon to see both as glazed.
if I may give my opinion about the picture above with the hawthorn, rather then the problem being a glazed pot for the kusamono, it looks too big to use with this tree, maybe that’s why the glaze stands out. Perhaps unglazed with same size would be more silent. Also to me the directional flow of the kusamono points wrong. But anywayz I know this is not the finished look but working fotos as you say.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for your comments. If you carefully read my comments, a smaller unglazed round container will be selected and changed. The accessory Black mondo grass has not been prepared. But, if you look at the accessory you will note that the high point of the grass is on the left side, indicating a left to right eye movement.

Working on images to comment on accessory containers now.... stay tuned.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I wrote a reply on using accessory plantings, but it became too long for posting here. So, check out my blog post:

COVER.JPG

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Sometimes you need to trust your feeling, looking too much for a reason why you like something may make you end up picking not your favorite.

Top Bottom