Valavanis Pine book on Ebay

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I stumbled upon his book...I take it the owner of the auction understands the value of a good book. I am assuming it rarely comes up for auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/William-N-V...1?pt=US_Texbook_Education&hash=item20ec95f81f

This is what drives me crazy about ebay.

http://www.secondstorybooks.com/pag...taxonomy-encyclopedia-of-classical-bonsai-art

As is often the case with that site, it was pretty easy to find it cheaper elsewhere. Not sure if it has Bill's signature, but you might be afford a ticket to Rochester to get it with the money you'd have saved.

I like the book, by the way, Bill. It looks like it's volume two of a larger set of planned books (although I've never found volume one). What happened with the rest of the series?

Scott

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is what drives me crazy about ebay.

http://www.secondstorybooks.com/pag...taxonomy-encyclopedia-of-classical-bonsai-art

As often the case with that site, it was pretty easy to find it cheaper elsewhere. Not sure if it has Bill's signature, but you might be afford a ticket to Rochester to get it with the money you'd have saved.

I like the book, by the way, Bill. It looks like it's volume two of a larger set of planned books (although I've never found volume one). What happened with the rest of the series?

Scott

Oh...wow! I guess one does get tunnel vision. Good to see it is affordable to ones if they look for it. Was looking for Bonsai Technique books on eBay. Under just bonsai books. And found his book. Figured it was a rare find...for the price. The page they showed was impressive as to what one might find in the book though.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh...wow! I guess one does get tunnel vision. Good to see it is affordable to ones if they look for it. Was looking for Bonsai Technique books on eBay. Under just bonsai books. And found his book. Figured it was a rare find...for the price. The page they showed was impressive as to what one might find in the book though.

Alibris has them for $110 each and Dallas Bonsai has them for under $100, so don't spend more than that on ebay. They are far more common than Bill's book, but it's not easy to find good deals on them. I love having them in my collection and mine have a lot of meaning to me because John Naka signed mine at a club meeting in Sacramento I attended many years ago when I was just starting in bonsai. But I rarely go to them for reference any longer. Bill 's book is excellent and it's rare (just not $500 rare). I'm glad I have a copy and would use it for reference if white pine grew in Houston. Still a good read though.

Scott

Last edited:

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I actually bought a naka book on ebay in hardcover, signed for $100 which included shipping.

Top Bottom