Value and support

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hopefully we are post Covid . In these times it’s important to support businesses that support our interests and are there for us when we need them . Now that spring is here I will be . Purchasing landscape plants with the possibility of bonsai on the future . I will be buying these from a local small speciality conifer nursery . Yes I will pay more than online yes I will pay more than a big box store . In return I will get quality and service . And they will remain in business for my hobby in the future . My other hobby or addiction is fishing . 90 percent of what I own for equipment comes from a mom and pop stare . For the same reasons the before and after sale service is lost on way to many people . Without the small companies supporting our hobby most of who do it for there own love of the same interests . All we will have is big companies and there lack of service in these trying times this is extra important

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Speaking of mom and pop stores, this week my cousin and her husband is closing their Electronic Repair store after 26 years. Their children are now in college and have no intention of continuing the family business, which has changed dramatically in the past 10 years. When my cousin and her husband reach their retirement age, the store is closed.
You are right however, the mom and pop stores provide much more service. For the extra price, you will get your value back some way some how. I grew up in a world where it was almost all mom and pop store. Big box stores don't appeal to me.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The smaller nurseries are usually where we find all our unique plants! They are my favorite to visit because you never know what you'll find.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hopefully we are post Covid . In these times it’s important to support businesses that support our interests and are there for us when we need them . Now that spring is here I will be . Purchasing landscape plants with the possibility of bonsai on the future . I will be buying these from a local small speciality conifer nursery . Yes I will pay more than online yes I will pay more than a big box store . In return I will get quality and service . And they will remain in business for my hobby in the future . My other hobby or addiction is fishing . 90 percent of what I own for equipment comes from a mom and pop stare . For the same reasons the before and after sale service is lost on way to many people . Without the small companies supporting our hobby most of who do it for there own love of the same interests . All we will have is big companies and there lack of service in these trying times this is extra important

I hope you have some effect. Locally, I could drive a few miles and find both fun starters and assorted pots and accessories at Eisley's Nursery in Auburn, CA.
Went up there a month or so ago and they have been sold to Green Acres. Green Acres is local also but many locations and now is equivalent to the big box stuff.

Sad to see Eisley's go.

I have been watching the little ones drop by the wayside one by one.

It's the fucking future. :mad:

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree. For those of us fortunate enough to have good local suppliers. We should keep them.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
one of the biggest problems for smaller operations here has been getting stock because of Covid . Most of my guys comes from north west USA. He has regular stuff like the Japanese Yew. I’m getting . But he is missing the less common stuff we would be interested in he is still about 50 percent capacity .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

I hope this thread doesn't die!

I think people are wising up to Value.

Sorce

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I will echo the need to support the mom and pop stores. All stores can't be big box types with everyone either working for the man or having a graduate degree. I miss the store owners who liked what they did and were informed about what they were selling. The problem usually is you just can't beat the prices of the Amazons. Luckily, the smaller mom and pop nurseries are still needed and corporate Joe hasn't yet totally eaten their lunch. Lowe's garden center just doesn't hold a candle to the local nursery right across the street from it.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I do shop mom and pop shops when I can. Not talking trees but other stuff. At what point do we say that's to much and go online to buy?

SerSwanky

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My personal struggle is a lot of mom and pop shops around me often have the same work hours as me (can't remember the last time I was able to go to the bank). Those shops close at the same time my work does so the only places that are open are the big box stores. And they also seem closed on Sunday which doesn't help. So their availability can be a major inconvenience sometimes compared to the hours of operation of a big box store.

However it is awesome to be able to talk with the owners and workers who really do have a passion for what they do and the blood sweat and tears they poured into their business. You can hear it in their voices and their knowledge is usually unbeatable in their product. You won't get that from the 17 year old Lowe's worker just trying to run out the clock to go home to play some video games (I know cuz that was me!).

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Value. Fishing conversation at the dock . Guy says he likes my new fishing reel . He has one like it . Conversation. Goes like this I say I tried it and really liked it so . Ordered one . He says how did you get to try it brand new had to order his sight unseen . I said manufacture rep came to my local fishing store with ore production model at customer appreciation day mid winter . He asked how much I payed I tell him msrp 389.99$ plus tax plus I get 5 percent value on my food customer account . He says I was ripped off he payed 359.99 on line plus shipping he says he forgot how much Mailed to his sister in New York so he saved 8 percent sales tax So he risked a federal smuggling charge to bring it illegally into Canada asked where his was abs did he like it he says it did not work right had to ship it to California for a update repair . Been 6 weeks into fishing season he still don’t have it back plus he had to pay for the shipping both ways . Tells me I will have to do the same it’s got a factory defect . Tell him mine was fixed while I shopped at my store . And if it had to go to California for any reason it would have been free for me . Tells me I’m lying needs to go to factory repair Centre . I tell him it did store is qualified factory repair Centre for there customer So 359.99 plus sight unseen plus shipping plus shipping back and forth to Cali and risk federal offence or try it first 389.99 plus sales tax. And had mine 2 weeks before season started but I was ripped off

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fishing and bonsai 🤌
Well those pics weren’t all takin in jersey . I like any fishing but my go to is bass mainly small mouth either at my cottage . Or have a good friend that was a avid tournament fisherman at a high level here in Canada . Spent a lot of time practicing and pre fishing tournaments with him . He was thinking of retiring from tournaments when Covid made the choice for him . So know we just fish for fun

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

a1dusty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I do shop mom and pop shops when I can. Not talking trees but other stuff. At what point do we say that's to much and go online to buy?
Fair point , many but not all nurseries stock in many different stages , with us all feeling the penny pinch is it not surprising a lot
Go for online buys , not saying this is the right thing to do but can you blame them 🤔

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that some local businesses are willing to work with you. Not all of them but sometimes you can make a personal connection with people and they will go out of their way to help.

I've been frequenting a local nursery for about a decade and always got my pumice from them but the business was sold a couple years back and they've just been selling what they had. Anyways I bought them out of pumice this spring and they have no intention of getting more, they have perlite lots of fn perlite though...

The search began. I've called every nursery asking about pumice, if they carried it or were planning on getting it. Not one place had it and they weren't going to get any.

I'm kind of screwed here. I started going to the feed stores looking for something that would work. The last one I went to the lady working asked me what I was looking for after I walked around for like 10 minutes checking every corner of the store. I give her the run down on growing little potted trees and how there is no pumice in town and as a last ditch effort I'm checking feed stores for pumice stall absorbent or something that might work. She was immediately interested and takes me to the back to search product they didn't have on the shelves. They didn't have anything I could use but she did offer to special order me what I need if I could find it or help her find a product they could sell that I could use. Now I just need to find a source of pumice for this feed store. I might just be able to talk them into carrying pumice. They carry a lot of stuff from dog mushing gear, horse stuff, baby chicks and gardening stuff too. There is still hope.

Sorry for the wordy rant, kind of freaking out here. I've lost my only source of pumice.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that some local businesses are willing to work with you. Not all of them but sometimes you can make a personal connection with people and they will go out of their way to help.

I've been frequenting a local nursery for about a decade and always got my pumice from them but the business was sold a couple years back and they've just been selling what they had. Anyways I bought them out of pumice this spring and they have no intention of getting more, they have perlite lots of fn perlite though...

The search began. I've called every nursery asking about pumice, if they carried it or were planning on getting it. Not one place had it and they weren't going to get any.

I'm kind of screwed here. I started going to the feed stores looking for something that would work. The last one I went to the lady working asked me what I was looking for after I walked around for like 10 minutes checking every corner of the store. I give her the run down on growing little potted trees and how there is no pumice in town and as a last ditch effort I'm checking feed stores for pumice stall absorbent or something that might work. She was immediately interested and takes me to the back to search product they didn't have on the shelves. They didn't have anything I could use but she did offer to special order me what I need if I could find it or help her find a product they could sell that I could use. Now I just need to find a source of pumice for this feed store. I might just be able to talk them into carrying pumice. They carry a lot of stuff from dog mushing gear, horse stuff, baby chicks and gardening stuff too. There is still hope.

Sorry for the wordy rant, kind of freaking out here. I've lost my only source of pumice.
I would contact Rivers Edge . Frank is a Bnut here and always welling to help . He owns a bonsai nursery on Vancouver island . And uses pumice . Closest I can think of to you may be able to help with a supplier . Other Options . You mentioned feed store . Most sell chicken and or turkey grit normally this product is crushed granite . Absorbent should be available in the vehicle / equipment repair industry . Normally there is 2 types fullers earth and DE should say on the bag fullers breaks down faster . The oil and gas drilling industry use several grades of coarse sand others have used such products . May be available considering your location . I have no interest starting a soil war . And completely understand the use of pumice in bonsai . But it does absorb water and therefore breaks down when frozen . Considering your climate . I at least recommend you watch Appalachian bonsai u tube vid on the effects of freezing common bonsai soil components . And draw your own. Conclusions good luck

Top Bottom