Value Of A Class

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Whats the general opinion here in taking a class. Their are a couple of people in the general area that I live (N Georgia) just not sure if it's worth it. Problem is everyones web site makes them sound great but you have wonder. With all respect to all that teach these classes some may be better then others or should you just buy a couple more books.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Whats the general opinion here in taking a class. Their are a couple of people in the general area that I live (N Georgia) just not sure if it's worth it. Problem is everyones web site makes them sound great but you have wonder. With all respect to all that teach these classes some may be better then others or should you just buy a couple more books.

You will learn more from a hands on workshop with a good master than reading all the books ever written on bonsai, if you have an opportunity to attend a workshop with a GOOD master or teacher, by all means take it, a private session is even better.

keep it green,
Harry

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Who are you thinking about taking a class with.....I can think of several that live in the GA, SC, TN area that I would love to spend some time with.

I also think that Atlanta Bonsai Society has a workhop once a month. When you join you get to take one for free. I'm not sure were in north Ga you live but if you are with a couple of hours it would be well worth the trip.

One of the clubs I belong to I drive 2 1/2 hours to it when I go. Going tomorrow on a bus trip to Durastone Nursery in Vero Beach Florida, Jim Smith's Nusery ( http://www.jimsmithbonsai.com/ )

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Who are you thinking about taking a class with.....I can think of several that live in the GA, SC, TN area that I would love to spend some time with.

I also think that Atlanta Bonsai Society has a workhop once a month. When you join you get to take one for free. I'm not sure were in north Ga you live but if you are with a couple of hours it would be well worth the trip.

One of the clubs I belong to I drive 2 1/2 hours to it when I go. Going tomorrow on a bus trip to Durastone Nursery in Vero Beach Florida, Jim Smith's Nusery ( http://www.jimsmithbonsai.com/ )

Excellent decision, you are my kind of guy............

keep it green,
Harry

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
The Tennessee Bonsai Society is having a meeting next Saturday at 1:30 at the Art View Bluff District. We are going over bylaws, wiring, and pines. I'm not sure where in N. Ga you live, but let me know if your interested. This is a resurrection of an old club.

IIIROYIII

Sapling
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to attend a workshop with Kathy Shaner through the Atlanta Bonsai Society, and I would consider it my best investment in bonsai so far. There are so many subtleties that you can't learn from a book.

Christopher

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I sat observing in the back of a class I stumbled upon for about 20 minutes ten years ago at Brussel's.

About three years ago I took a tree to a workshop by a master, didn't like the advice and therefore didn't work on the tree while there, came home and did what I wanted - influenced a small amount by a friend and an old penjing book - and have always loved the results.

Recently I attended a demonstration at the invitation of a friend.

That's it for formal study for me.

YMMV, but for me these sorts of things haven't been a significant part of my education at all. There are other ways to learn, ways that I think work better for many people. It's a very individual thing.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score

Georgia or Georgia Tech....?

keep it green,
Harry

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think classes can be very helpful. I've read a lot of books and magazines, and have read a lot of posts on internet boards like BN. While I think I have a pretty good sense of general knowledge, it's the practical knowledge that I find myself lacking, which is where I think classes can be of help.

For example, I took a Boon repotting workshop through my club earlier this spring which was immensely helpful. A couple of hours watching a master explaining at each step how to go about repotting, and with all types of trees, was more instructive than all the chapters on repotting that I could have read. For me, even just learning how to properly wire in drainage screens and wire your tree into the pot were worth the price of admission.

Then again, it probably depends on the quality of the instructor you are thinking of working with, the subject matter, etc.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess, I'd ask, "why wouldn't you take a class?"

Books, videos and online instructions simply can't provide the immersive experience as am "in-person" hands-on class. You will not learn how to repot or style a tree by reading a book or even watching a video--ESPECIALLY some of the videos posted online. Some of those can actually tell you specifically how to kill your tree...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Albeit daunting at times depending on experiance levels, you are getting to see in person, and hands on, years of experiance up close and personal, put another way, years of missed mistakes.

Top Bottom