Vance Mugo

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going on year 4 (I think 🤔) with this nursery mugo pine. Don’t have a lot of early pics, but thought I’d post it up.

This was a standard nursery mugo at purchase with clumps of branches. I followed the info from @Vance Wood compiled by @Lazylightningny as close as I could.

First year it was repotted iafter Father’s Day and unwanted foliage trimmed.

Second year was covid year and it struggled health wise. It set a few buds, many of which are only opening up this year.

third year a few of the buds began pushing and the overall health looked much better. I wired the tree last year as well.

this year the candles really pushed and it is a lovely green. I also repotted into this unglazed ceramic.

i finally feel like the time is paying off as I have a ton to work with, much of which is backbudding and further down the trunk.

plan is to cut back to this foliage mid to late summer and cut the strongest of candles to induce more backbudding.

the width of this tree as is, is much to wide, but it def appears like I can shrink that profile. I like the height.

I’ll look for older pics which are somewhere in the digital ether.

B416B2A2-13E2-4BEA-9691-13A36CEA1497.jpegD28A6FEB-8050-4B02-80E2-30164A7A854E.jpeg8CFDA1F8-A5BE-49C5-909D-640571210123.jpegE564E910-0AFA-4709-ACA4-4F661C6FE914.jpeg

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You did a pretty intense pruning that first year huh? It seemed to bounce back really well. I took off about 1/4ish to maybe 1/3 and am nervous about it haha.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I
You did a pretty intense pruning that first year huh? It seemed to bounce back really well. I took off about 1/4ish to maybe 1/3 and am nervous about it haha.
don’t have between pics. But i didn’t do as drastic a pruning as the images show.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Tree looks great! Love the structure and it will obviously only improve over time. Not sure about the deadwood though. Seems to come directly at you and takes away from the line of the tree. Possibly reduce? Not saying the tree isnt enviable, just saying it was the first thing I noticed. My ugly mugo is nowhere near as nice or advanced.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree looks great! Love the structure and it will obviously only improve over time. Not sure about the deadwood though. Seems to come directly at you and takes away from the line of the tree. Possibly reduce? Not saying the tree isnt enviable, just saying it was the first thing I noticed. My ugly mugo is nowhere near as nice or advanced.
Fair assessment. I think once I get more foliage development, the dead wood will be obscured a bit more. For now it’ll stay, but I may take it down quite a bit eventually.

Top Bottom