Variable Frequency Drive Crassula Ovata

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last year, I managed a mechanical scope of work on a roofing project we were hired to complete. As part of that project we installed new exhaust fans with motor starters and variable frequency drive controllers to allow the exhaust fans to operate at different RPMs depending on the requested amount of air movement needed at the time in the system. Long story short, I had one of the VFD controllers burn out when we accidentally connected the power wiring to the low voltage inputs. When we replaced it, I kept the controller because I had an idea that it would be cool to use it in a bonsai project given the controller was from a brand called Lenze.

I was initially going to put a ficus or something in it but I wanted to try it first with something a little more forgiving since there is a lot of open space on the sides and I wasnt sure how fast the soil would dry out. I decided to throw an extra crassula cutting in the shell. Heres a little snapshot of the project.

First I had to disassemble the VFD controller so I could lay some screening in it to cover up drainage holes I previously drilled into the aluminum base. I had taken out the circuitry and such last year so unfortunately I didnt get pictures of the motherboard or wiring.
20211219_183038.jpg20211219_183407.jpg20211219_184146.jpg

I then removed the crassula from its pot, did some root work. Determined angles and such, and then planted it in the shell, using wire to hold it in the position I would like it to maintain as it grows its roots back.

20211219_184223.jpg20211219_184356.jpg20211219_184951.jpg20211219_184827.jpg20211219_185811.jpg

There was an extra crassula I put in a pot I purchased on here a while back that didnt get a plant yet.

20211219_190052.jpg

The final planting:
20211219_190310.jpg

I would like to grow the one low right branch straight out and over the VFD body. The continuation above will be the new trunk and be used to form a shallow canopy. The low left branch will be kept tight to the trunk. I'm looking forward to putting it on my desk next year perhaps after the summer when the roots have a chance to grow in and solidify it into position.

Care for the next couple weeks will be light daily misting until new growth appears. I'll then give it a good watering. I have it under lights in my basement for now. I get decent growth on all my succulents under them.

Thoughts appreciated!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to hear the long version of the story!
Hope somebody got smacked!

It certainly takes an "L"! 😂

Hopefully it was the 1/3 hp at $250 and not the 10 hp at $820!

Damn.

Damn.

Sorce

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
might be the most creative/wild projects ive seen in a while
nice looking little jades

you reminded me of HVAC specs for interacting with fire alarm systems in field i work in
when i was project mgmt i remember dealing with relays for them and Smoke Control, dampers,
HVAC specs, Duct smokes etc. RPU (?) or PPM for rooftop units or something

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I want to hear the long version of the story!
Hope somebody got smacked!

Hopefully it was the 1/3 hp at $250 and not the 10 hp at $820!

Sorce

Long version of the story haha. Ok. Well, my company does electrical, mechanical and plumbing work in NJ for public project such as school and government building renovations. This was the first roofing project they had given to me to manage and it was a decent scope of work but a good job to cut my teeth on, since it was electrical-scope heavy with new branch circuits for the seven exhaust fans we replaced, new controllers, new circuit breakers and conduit, etc. Everything was going really well until we had to install the low voltage controllers and motor starters because the previous controllers ran off a mechanical time-clock somewhere in this particular high school and no one knew where the controller was, how the original relays and contactors were wired... basically anything about what controlled four of the seven fans that were getting these VFDs. So we eventually located low voltage wiring that was never connected previously to anything and had to basically create our interlock wiring system with the existing packaged rooftop units, so that when they supplied heated or cooled outside air into the building, the exhaust fans would simultaneously turn on to exhaust any positive pressure. It was quite the mess, but we wound up making a good profit on the job, and I came in under our budget overall. These were smaller fans, most were 1/6HP motors... the fans weren't that expensive, $300 or so dollars, but the VFD controllers were about $600 each and I had to figure out how to program them out their one-hundred page start up manual and then relay that info to my technician, who originally is from Dubai and doesn't speak the best English. Great guy, but sometimes the communication is a little tough. Thankfully everything worked out. Here's a picture of the four contactors we eventually found above the ceiling in one of the third floor hallways. We had to wire them so that the time clock would trigger the contactors, initiate the VFD and then turn the fans on.

IMG954744.jpg

might be the most creative/wild projects ive seen in a while
nice looking little jades

you reminded me of HVAC specs for interacting with fire alarm systems in field i work in
when i was project mgmt i remember dealing with relays for them and Smoke Control, dampers,
HVAC specs, Duct smokes etc. RPU (?) or PPM for rooftop units or something
Thanks for the interest! I don't think its THAT creative... but I do like the dichotomy between the technological element and the natural element of the tree, so I may explore that a little further. I come across all sorts of weird stuff with my job and I'm sure there will be other opportunities to make interesting plantings.

I am managing a load of projects right now with return duct smoke detectors, fire alarm integration, etc. All our work is pretty much plan and spec, and it's all large equipment, likely similar to what you were dealing with. One of my projects currently is the replacement of two packaged units on a local library. Each weighs about 15,000 pounds. As part of that job, we are redoing all the fire alarms in one wing of the library, also installing a new knock-down boiler... always something interesting going on. I do most of the estimating as well, so I am pretty much deep into the specifications and plans on every project. I have to a have a deep knowledge of industrial plumbing, electrical - a lot of which is 480V, three phase power wiring... immediate death if electrocuted type of of stuff- and controls, and then the HVAC side with ductwork, air flow, packaged equipment and heating. If you asked me three years ago or four years ago if I could see myself managing the types of projects I am now, I would have called you crazy. I still can't really comprehend how I ended up being responsible if entire schools start their school-year on time, or if the mayors office in some town is properly heated and cooled.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Long version of the story haha. Ok. Well, my company does electrical, mechanical and plumbing work in NJ for public project such as school and government building renovations. This was the first roofing project they had given to me to manage and it was a decent scope of work but a good job to cut my teeth on, since it was electrical-scope heavy with new branch circuits for the seven exhaust fans we replaced, new controllers, new circuit breakers and conduit, etc. Everything was going really well until we had to install the low voltage controllers and motor starters because the previous controllers ran off a mechanical time-clock somewhere in this particular high school and no one knew where the controller was, how the original relays and contactors were wired... basically anything about what controlled four of the seven fans that were getting these VFDs. So we eventually located low voltage wiring that was never connected previously to anything and had to basically create our interlock wiring system with the existing packaged rooftop units, so that when they supplied heated or cooled outside air into the building, the exhaust fans would simultaneously turn on to exhaust any positive pressure. It was quite the mess, but we wound up making a good profit on the job, and I came in under our budget overall. These were smaller fans, most were 1/6HP motors... the fans weren't that expensive, $300 or so dollars, but the VFD controllers were about $600 each and I had to figure out how to program them out their one-hundred page start up manual and then relay that info to my technician, who originally is from Dubai and doesn't speak the best English. Great guy, but sometimes the communication is a little tough. Thankfully everything worked out. Here's a picture of the four contactors we eventually found above the ceiling in one of the third floor hallways. We had to wire them so that the time clock would trigger the contactors, initiate the VFD and then turn the fans on.

View attachment 413054

Thanks for the interest! I don't think its THAT creative... but I do like the dichotomy between the technological element and the natural element of the tree, so I may explore that a little further. I come across all sorts of weird stuff with my job and I'm sure there will be other opportunities to make interesting plantings.

I am managing a load of projects right now with return duct smoke detectors, fire alarm integration, etc. All our work is pretty much plan and spec, and it's all large equipment, likely similar to what you were dealing with. One of my projects currently is the replacement of two packaged units on a local library. Each weighs about 15,000 pounds. As part of that job, we are redoing all the fire alarms in one wing of the library, also installing a new knock-down boiler... always something interesting going on. I do most of the estimating as well, so I am pretty much deep into the specifications and plans on every project. I have to a have a deep knowledge of industrial plumbing, electrical - a lot of which is 480V, three phase power wiring... immediate death if electrocuted type of of stuff- and controls, and then the HVAC side with ductwork, air flow, packaged equipment and heating. If you asked me three years ago or four years ago if I could see myself managing the types of projects I am now, I would have called you crazy. I still can't really comprehend how I ended up being responsible if entire schools start their school-year on time, or if the mayors office in some town is properly heated and cooled.
Smart stuff and very similar to what I mentioned. Good job

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Today. Still looking good. Got it outside now. Expect strong growth from here out.

20220528_132330.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its in my office growing well. I gave it a clip today. Lol.

20221024_150334.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pruned hard back a bit ago in office. Brought it home to get full sun for a while and get good growth. Succulents are coming out from basement soon.

20230514_124819.jpg
20230514_124830.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Today. Its been back in full sun for a bit this summer.

Low left branch was removed a while back.

20230820_093542.jpg

Top Bottom