Variegated boxwood....

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Atleast I think that is what they are called....It looks about like a typical green boxwood except it has yellow edged on the leaves....Anyway the neighbor across the street was taking a chainsaw to the ones in his front yard so I collected one of the stumps....It has basically no foliage left, I hope it will bud back. I'll post some pics later today.

Brian

tsquared

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aren't boxwoods evergreens? So I think it will have a hard time backbudding with all its foliage off.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've never seen or heard of a variegated boxwood. I wonder if the ID is correct, or if the former owner was getting rid of it because it will illl for some reason.

At any rate, it WILL backbud, but you will need much patience.

Looking forward to pictures, including close-up of the leaves and a branch.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have some regular boxwood that sometimes show the yellow edges when in full sun. They are not consistently showing.

I've never seen a boxwood backbud w/o any foliage left (unless there are already latent bud) so good luck!

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is not the shrub I collected but it looks like it except the one I got started out about 8 foot tall.....There was no way to leave any foliage, just not much down low to work with. It was very healthy and if I wanted them there are 4 more across the street with larger trunks than this one....I dug the smallest one.

boxwood-collected+004.jpg

boxwood-collected+001.jpg

boxwood-collected+002.jpg

boxwood-collected+003.jpg

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is the same as what is in the first pic....Dead on match...Google come up with variegated boxwood as the common name....Proper name.... Buxus sempervirens Variegata.

Brian

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen variegated boxwood in nurseries before and this definitely looks like one.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well, if it IS a variegated boxwood, be aware that variegated varieties of most plants are much weaker and less cold hardy -- and that too much pruning sometimes causes them to revert to the plain leaf.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2nd pic at post #5 doesn't look like boxwood...neither does the growth habit (trunk and branches) and bark. I am inclined to agree with Brian.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Plain leaf would be great.....As far as them being cold hardy, I only moved it across the street. I'm the one that took the chainsaw to the 8 foot monster....I can assure Ya'll that this stump is the same kind of shrub as the first pic I posted.....Now I have no clue if that is a boxwood or not.....But it is a dead ringer as far as looks go to the one posted above.

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good news...It's putting out new growth. Not sure this one has much potential, but it will make for good carving practice when it comes time.

Brian

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good news...It's putting out new growth. Not sure this one has much potential, but it will make for good carving practice when it comes time.

Brian

Good to hear, I hate the "what seems forever" period after collection. Might want to ask if they produced berries to help ID it.

Grimmy

Top Bottom