Variegated Delonix Regia

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Just wondering if anyone has seen these? I've grown maybe 20-30 from seed and I've never seen it before.
I would sure like to keep it alive! :D
DSC_1151_zpssfhlcvtx.jpg

DSC_1103_zpscsux5gio.jpg

DSC_1102_zpsa4jmsn5c.jpg

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks...As you can see the others are browning and dropping leaves. I'm am still trying to figure out how to keep Delonix happy enough during the winter so i can put them back outside in the spring.
The top photo is when they were still outside during the day and inside at night...dark green and not much dropping of leaves.
I just put my tropical trees inside full time about a month ago...they all are still adjusting. My willow leaf ficus dropped 99% of leaves this week.:oops: History tells me in a week or so they should start to regrow.

Floridays

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Wow, I've never seen a variegated one before! I have a regular one in a pot and am still wondering how to bonsai it...;)

Good luck with that, I hope it stays alive for ya!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Experience with the Flamboyant, is it does not branch, and if you look at it
in nature, it is leaflet dense, but branchlet poor.
One guy on this side got six branches on a 2 foot tall specimen.
He grafted them on.

When he returned to the UK no one could maintain it. Died.

At least with the Tamarind you have a fighting chance.

Or might I once again suggest ------------ a Hackberry.
Good Day
Anthony

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I hear you, but i'm always up for a challenge. They are tricky inside for sure. My 2 year old that got root rot didn't branch either...it would drop stems at the slightest change and just keep regrowing them.
They are still neat to look at though...even as a 2 year old seedling they are 2 to 3 times as wide as they are tall. We shall see...i won't be buying anymore seeds after this batch if i can't keep them alive.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If that's a Delonix Regia people say they don't flower in a bonsai pot...but others have said they have. I've seen that pic and others have said it was photoshop'd. TBH, i think lots of Bonsai photo's are but no way to prove that.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ever seen this one -
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/95/ac/d2/95acd2ab51524e91b40e189d33abc352--bonsai-garden-bonsai-plants.jpg

I believe quite a few got caught with it.
As far as I know it is a tree photo shopped into a bonsai pot.
Good Day
Anthony
What 'soil' do you put your tropical trees in? I've been flirting with diff types, DE/grit seems to work best but can dry out too fast for water loving plants.
My Kapok trees don't like to get dry, they droop at the top, but recover in a few hours after watering.
Reverse is also true..i can get root rot with too much retention.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Tree is still alive....not growing much but at least it's alive...They grow pretty good here in the summer. :cool:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I gotta figure out how to do it without a photo site...it's still very small seedling though.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Still trying to figure out how to keep them from dropping leaves indoors. I've tried humidity, no humidity, water, no water, they all seem about the same.:eek:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hmm, i attached file and one says 3rd party hosting....i attached it from my desktop. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom