Variegated Elm from club auction

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not having an elm in my collection, I decided to get this somewhat more special version. Variagated foliage. But nothing exciting besides that.

Wondering what you think woul dbe the best approach.

I was thinking
- Planting deeper & laering a new naberi
- removing all but one branch as a new leader and rebuild canopy.

So.. 5-10 year project.

Would love to see / hear your thoughts.. elm-1.jpg elm-2.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In my area Ulmus minor subsp. minor 'Variegata' we call Silver Elm. They are strong but still can get Dutch Elm disease like an American Elm. Both are normally looked at as the top of the tree for Elm lovers.
Myself I would love to work that one -
Step 1: Remove and kill ALL of the moss at the trunk. Tweak all the longest growth back 2 nodes for ramification. Season one.
Step 2: Remove from the pot and replant in a larger container lifting it a little not lower. Work ramification. Season two.
Step 3: Decide if you want to make it a lot larger or pot and keep working it at the size you like...
I would love to have that one - Nice find!

Grimmy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Grimmy,

thx for the input.
I wanted to put it deeper in the pot, to get a nebari; It has a bulge on one site without surface roots. And the trunk dives into the grond on the other. So I am thinking groundlayering the trunk once it is strong enough to do so. But repotting will show whether there is a lot to get excited about lower down. Am not expecting it..

Overall size is probably OK.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Grimmy,

thx for the input.
I wanted to put it deeper in the pot, to get a nebari; It has a bulge on one site without surface roots. And the trunk dives into the grond on the other. So I am thinking groundlayering the trunk once it is strong enough to do so. But repotting will show whether there is a lot to get excited about lower down. Am not expecting it..

Overall size is probably OK.

Yes but remember to do everything you can to get rid of the moss that is so happy to eat the bark at the base and make all of you root efforts take years longer - Moss is a show decoration, not a grow decoration at the base of most any tree ;)
Again - I would love to take care of that one - Nice find!

Grimmy

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Grimmy,

Thx and Of Course. Moss is a goner as soon as I have time to sit down with a brush, tweezers, and a colg beer. The last one for me. I forgot to clean a pine last fall before moving into 'winter mode', and spent a full day pulling mos out of the tree in spring; It had reached the upper canopy in one winter :(

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id love to see it with the moss gone.

If you can get roots at the current soil line, that would be nice.

Please get rid of that wire!

I like it!

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cleaned it up last night & repotted in a bigger pot to give some room for improvements. There were surface roots hiding under the moss :). Removed one root that sprouted about 2cm above the soil line. And I removed a bunch of branches with knots at the end. It is not all that bad. Wil take pics in the weekend.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'll be surprise
Oeh, I DO hope so!
Any idea of the time required for rooting to start? Days? Weeks? Months? (I took some cuttings of a benjamina last year. After a week I decided I wanted to move them into a different continer, and they had rooted already, was pretty surprised.)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will take a while. Don't attempt to move them until next spring.

Top Bottom