Variegated ficus microcarpa

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Wondering if anyone knows if variegated ficus microcarpa will back bud on bare wood. Major reduction on fat straight branches and trunk.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I reckon you have a better chance than most.

My regular ginseng (is that the same) did like a champ, before put under old old old lights.

If the variegated loses x amount of "vigour", I'd just account for that in prior health.

Pics!

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It should work just as a green type. You could always leave some green on a branch just as a fail safe.
Let’s see pics.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have half a dozen variegated ficus but none are microcarpa, so that leaves me curious.
Can you figure a way to post a picture.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hate to tell you but that looks like a variegated benjamina…. Not that the species effects the quality, which is impressive for a benjamina! That things a beast! 😮

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Thanks Mateo. I'm asking for a friend..If it were mine I'd dump it or cut WAY back and begin anew.
Here's the view when I turn around. And what I see when I'm "working." Oh and a better ficus.

Attachments

• IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4552.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 65
  • P1030479.JPG
    P1030479.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1030484.JPG
    P1030484.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 60

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’d love to have that benjamina, but…its a crap shoot If and where it will back bud. On another note, that other one is a awesome Microcarpa! I bet that things got some years on it. You have a beautiful little tropical slice of paradise!

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
It should work just as a green type. You could always leave some green on a branch just as a fail safe.
Let’s see pics.
See pic. I ask because variegated leaf sections don't have the chlorophyll of green sections, photosynthesis is typically less efficient, and many variegated plants show weaker growth.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I’d love to have that benjamina, but…its a crap shoot If and where it will back bud. On another note, that other one is a awesome Microcarpa! I bet that things got some years on it. You have a beautiful little tropical slice of paradise!
It's a friends. I sold him most of my collection and work on them there. It's an amazing botanical wonderland.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a benjamini, probably Nina or possibly Nicole. There are a couple others as well with white variegation and at least two others with gold variegation. They are all very sturdy fast growing plants.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
See pic. I ask because variegated leaf sections don't have the chlorophyll of green sections, photosynthesis is typically less efficient, and many variegated plants show weaker growth.
I see. Yes, there is a lot of white there.
It would be problematic for me to grow this. On some varieties the white for me either turns brown or gets holes.
they do grow slower for sure.
I would place in morning sun in summer and don’t over water. It’s scares me just looking at it. Lol.
For trimming this tree- I would chase back growth but never cut below the growing foliage.
I would never cut except during summer.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not found any of the variegated ficus to be lacking in vigor. In fact, one variety of a gold and green leaf called Dutch Treat is more vigorous in growth than others. And Nicole and Nina are very sturdy growers that almost always root well from cuttings for me.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I dont mean to hijack this thread but while we are talking about variegated benjaminas, does anyone know the cultivar of this darker green variegated one? @penumbra @amcoffeegirl
DA2E9AD7-45AB-45C7-A1CE-9788C4D11FCC.jpeg
I know it’s not a normal variegata like below. 👇
350304E8-FA4C-4D81-8603-1B4B65D398ED.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks a bit like Dutch Treat or Hummingbird. Is it inside or out? With stronger light you will get a deeper gold variegation. Some entire leaves as well.
I can't do it today but I will take pictures of some of mine tomorrow. Maybe we could trade some cuttings someday.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks a bit like Dutch Treat or Hummingbird. Is it inside or out? With stronger light you will get a deeper gold variegation. Some entire leaves as well.
I can't do it today but I will take pictures of some of mine tomorrow. Maybe we could trade some cuttings someday.
It’s outside and has been outside for a good while. It has been sitting with my other my other benjaminas. I originally thought they would lighten up too but nope.

Top Bottom