Variegated Monstera

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My wife is into plants (myself not so much) but I support her of course. ...... even though she is taking up more and more of my winterizing space under the grow lights with little pleasure!!! *deep breath * yes, I fully support her.

She has been looking to acquire a variegated monstera, anyone have any of these? Any information on them?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
She has been looking to acquire a variegated monstera, anyone have any of these? Any information on them?
I got a mini monstera this year.
Doing well.
I know they are expensive. Seem easy enough to care for. They get large.
With variegation the plant will need more light to keep its colors. It may also grow a bit slower than the plain green form.

Mine is actually Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma- common name mini monstera but not the same species.
The pic is not mine- from google. This is what my plant looks like though.
FA76FCF0-903C-4A8A-937D-388FC8CA1C98.jpeg

And a monstera link

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
She have a green thumb? I have a standard M. Deliciosa and they are relatively easy to grow. Hate to see her drop the coin on a variegated and lose the plant with winter coming on, new light arrangement, new growing environment etc...

I personally want a adansonii or obliqua. The latter is pretty rare and spendy.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had a minute to peruse the web. A lot of these places will also have tropical tree species that might be good for indoor in winter bonsai too, but all I listed carry Monstera or other Philodendron type Aroids.

I've dealt with Top Tropicals, they tend to be on the slightly higher end of the price range, and they charge a lot for shipping, but they often have species that are otherwise impossible to find. I wager they are a really great nursery to visit in person, if you ever get near Fort Meyers area of Florida. They have big and small aroids, including Monstera and Rhaphidophora.

Zone 9 Tropicals - Houston TX, mail order nursery - has a few monstera listed under Aroids. They have been around a while, I have not bought from them but would try them without hesitation.

Gardino Nursery - Florida based - I have done business with them, good, they deliver what they promise. I would order from them again.

Pistil Nursery - Portland Oregon based, I know nothing about them. Just stumbled across their site.

Ken's Philodendrons - mail order out of Florida - currently "closed for propagation" will open sometime autumn 2020, claims to be "largest" collection of rare Philodendron and related species in USA. May well be, just a glance showed many species I never heard of. Might be worth shopping to find the really rare one.

Hirt's garden - an Ohio based nursery, they do pretty good mail order - I have ordered from them and was happy with service and product.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
There is one exotic plant nursery in my area that occasionally has them, and they are crazy expensive. They said they usually run $250 for a very small plant, and $500 for a medium sized.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes she has become surprisingly good at maintaining her plants, and its become great conversational peices in our home. At the very least, she can now understand why bonsai can become so addictive and expensive lol

Her first plant was a gift from the hospital when my son was born in June of 2019. She actually has a couple of the green monstera, and even the Tetrasperma already. Some calatheas, pothos, fiddle leafs, etc etc so her collection has grown quite rapidly over the course of a little over a year.

I was looking to surprise her with the variegated monstera as she can't bring herself to drop the hundreds of bucks that I'm now finding out they cost!

Insane these plants cost so much!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes she has become surprisingly good at maintaining her plants, and its become great conversational peices in our home. At the very least, she can now understand why bonsai can become so addictive and expensive lol

Her first plant was a gift from the hospital when my son was born in June of 2019. She actually has a couple of the green monstera, and even the Tetrasperma already. Some calatheas, pothos, fiddle leafs, etc etc so her collection has grown quite rapidly over the course of a little over a year.

I was looking to surprise her with the variegated monstera as she can't bring herself to drop the hundreds of bucks that I'm now finding out they cost!

Insane these plants cost so much!
I believe they propagate from cuttings, so you can always recoup your losses in a few years. 😄

Top Bottom