Variegated Vein Ficus prebonsai

bjones88

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The first picture is before i wired and trimmed back the branches. The second two are after. Still needs some time to fill in but i think it will look better after a few years. You cant see it in the photos, but there is a branch in the middle fork on top that will be trained for a new leader and eventually turn upwards to form a new apex.

Attachments

• CAM00112.jpg
    CAM00112.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 28
  • CAM00163.jpg
    CAM00163.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 25
  • CAM00164.jpg
    CAM00164.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 27

bjones88

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the tree needs more cut back on the upper branches, but not sure how this type of ficus will react.

What does everyone else think?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just FYI.

Variegated varieties are normally avoided in bonsai. They are also supposedly "weaker" than regular similar plant. Honestly, when I was starting, I also wanted to use variegated varieties but slowly accepted (and happily I might add) not to.

Using variegated and keeping it also indoors may not be a good idea. It is stacking odds against your success.

Good luck!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Wife has one of those that although it grows slow it is taking a cascade bend well. It was about 4 inches tall when received about 3 years ago and is bent over at the 2 inch mark and extends out 10 inches right now. Not a bad plant but seems to be very slow for us anyways. Ficus in general seem to grow fast and you have to keep an eye on the wire so it does not bite in. That bend was achieved looping string around the branch and the pot to avoid that problem. One of the first ideas of mine she has agreed with on her trees :p
Grimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom