Variety or specialization?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like to have diferent species. I like tropicals, decidious, conifers and even suculents and so in my collection I try not to repeat any species I have when It comes to new members. It makes me learn the the tricks and behaviour of each new tree and that's funny. I must say I have a wonderful climate, so (for now) few seem to be out of my reach, even most temperate or tropical trees...
Some times I find YouTube channels in wich the owner specializes in a single species and they master It, wich is also great.
So what is your aproach (discounting your climate limitations)?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I want to specialize badly, but variety is so nice. Right now I know the most about maple and pine, so I’m trying my best to work within those 2 genus. I can get different fall colors with acer and have conifers to play with too

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I like variety but specialize by circumstance. For example, I have an excellent opportunity to specialize on Crataegus aestivalis and am taking it. By the time I am through, the next person who wants to try should have excellent information as to how to deal with this species.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I too find variety the spice of life but I have deep respect for those who really learn a species. If I had to limit myself I would work with hornbeams first with elm as a follow up.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When I was brand new to the hobby, I found having too many different trees was confusing and overwhelming. Trying to learn the ins an outs of one or two is hard enough, trying to learn 10 at once was stressful. So I concentrated on one or two at a time, got comfortable with them and then started on others. Taking the class at New England Bonsai Gardens helped a lot.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Being involved in horticulture for about 60 years, there wasn't many plants (except some tropicals) that were new to me.
But bonsai makes it all new again.
My horticultural experience was, before bonsai, gardening, as opposed to nurseryman work (I do BOTH now). So I got to learn the tree/shrub half recently..

I love plants TOO much to specialize. (But I really enjoy the work and dedication of those who CAN). But REALLY notice an overwhelming theme amongst my plants with bonsai aspirations.

Endemic/Native (including Tatarican, my favorite) Acers..

Endemic/Native Ulmus

Endemic/Native Prunus

and PUNICAS!

These are what I have the MOST of, and also have kept alive the longest/responded the best to bonsai techniques..

So I guess you could say I work mostly with "Native/Endemic Deciduous" and REAAALLY like Pomegranate trees.

As I type, I keep remembering more multiple species/specimens I have that I am very fond of..

I'll quit while I'm almost ahead.

😂

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm bout biodiversity.

Monoculture = Death

I recently had a conversation with my daughter about the difference between specialization and generalization in regards to her lawn mowing business. I believe the same pryncyples apply.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I try a variety but concentrate on what grows well in my microclimate, with the care I can give it. At the moment that seems to be California native oaks, a variety of elms, and boxwood.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have 3 currently. None of mine will survive outdoors here. I would love to have one that would.
All of the ones I grow go into cool rooms over the cold season. I have it "set" at Tropical Winter... some punicas blow all their leaves... and others blow about 2/3 foliage and slooooooow doooooown...

I believe they REALLY benefit from
this, but have no ACTUAL proof it is better than wintering any other way.

My friend Nick (lives real near me), had a Punica in an unheated, plastic-tarp greenhouse all winter... and it budded out in spring. That sounds like a crap-shoot, though.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have 3 currently. None of mine will survive outdoors here. I would love to have one that would.
And I plant Poms every year... so I AM, in fact, searching for a "cold-hardy mutant"..

The only way to explore diversity amongst Punica is seed source... when you try hybridized, grocery store seeds, they seem 75 percent "uniform".. every time, but germination is HIGH. (These "uniform", however, appear to slightly differ according to source COUNTRY.)

When you plant ORGANIC pom seeds, you experience a wider range of diverse, genetic "reads", but MUCH lower germination and seedling success. (As I compare it to other "Fruiting" gene selection trials, I slap myself in the forehead and yell, "Duh!")

🤓

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I try everything. I specialize in what I can keep alive.
As I get more experienced (and able to grow more) I tend to stay away from species that are more work for me to keep alive. So "specialized" in about 4 species while having a few of 15 more species.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My answer to the original question is YES.

I like a variety because otherwise I can get bored, especially if I'm having allot of success. Once it gets easy half the fun is lost for me.

That said, I do have a tendency to latch onto one or two species I'm enjoying most at the time, and running with them until I'm burnt out.
Currently that's gardenia and ficus benjamina BECAUSE I'm having some level of success with them. I'll go until I'm bored, and then hand most of them out as gifts. My current goal, though, is to have a gardenia I can enter into the potted flowers category at the county fair in a couple years time. They're MANY years away from bonsai.

So, I guess specialize according to my current goals, but always a variety on hand because I may adjust my goals along the way.
Also, I have backups if discover the hard way that I suck at a particular species.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have too many trees to keep up on your bonsai chores and reading, then you need to simplify. If you are bored, you need more variety.

I've raised orchids, bonsai, and various houseplants at various levels of obsession for my entire life. A varied collection keeps the mind stimulated. However, we all have our favorites, one SHOULD have multiples of their favorite species.

It a particular species captures your imagination, OR if a particular style of tree captures your imagination, you should have, or make more of them. Learn as much as you can about that species or that style. Become expert. Dig deep. Learn all you can.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you have too many trees to keep up on your bonsai chores and reading, then you need to simplify. If you are bored, you need more variety.

I've raised orchids, bonsai, and various houseplants at various levels of obsession for my entire life. A varied collection keeps the mind stimulated. However, we all have our favorites, one SHOULD have multiples of their favorite species.

It a particular species captures your imagination, OR if a particular style of tree captures your imagination, you should have, or make more of them. Learn as much as you can about that species or that style. Become expert. Dig deep. Learn all you can.
I am trying on a couple species :)

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lets see, I have 2 types of pine, 4 types of elm, 2 types of spruce, 1 hemlock, 2 types of azalea, 4 types of maple, 3 types of crape myrtle, 1 oak, 1 dogwood, 1 hornbeam and 1 bald cypress. Plus a few things in the ground that I'm not counting.

Guess I like variety.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Lets see, I have 2 types of pine, 4 types of elm, 2 types of spruce, 1 hemlock, 2 types of azalea, 4 types of maple, 3 types of crape myrtle, 1 oak, 1 dogwood, 1 hornbeam and 1 bald cypress. Plus a few things in the ground that I'm not counting.

Guess I like variety.
I got BC, Mayhaw, maples, tamarind, poinciana, Indian hawthorn, jujube, Chinese elm, ficus, oak, wisteria,...
Hmm... definitely variety.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm in the part of my bonsai adventure where I'm taking anything I can get my hands on, with varying success.

I don't think I would ever specialize unless I had particular success with one species or type and I end up becoming some kind of savant. That hasn't happened, so I'll be enjoying my variety as long as I can.

Top Bottom