Various Azalea/Rhodies - progression

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread on my Azaleas / Rhododendrons so I can keep a record.
A couple of things to clarify first
- I am a newbie .. so any feedback/Critique/Advise very welcome
- I was too stupid to take photos of most of these when I got them home from the Nursery / got delivered to my house .. which is why they are not entered in the running competition .. I wanted to work with them alongside the comp ( was too nervous about joining the comp) and then by the time I decided "why not" .. I realised I had no proper 'before' pictures.
- I was also too stupid to label them all .. so for a few of them I am going to have to wait until the flower ( hopefully! ) next year to confirm which are which .. I think most of them were 2 plants in a pot so I seperated them .. I am actually quite surprised that they are all still surviving as I need to be quite rough with some of them to get them seperated !
- some I was clever enough to take pictures after the first chop .. some not .. ( I am starting to realise too late , that it is quite useful to keep taking photos to track progress )

so .. here goes
first up
Rhododendron impeditum Ramapo ( 1 and 2)
these got delivered via post / internet buy and looked half dead on arrival ... so repotted / pruned but kept quite a lot of branches / green on .. both have movement I quite enjoy .. so I am hoping these will turn out nice .. the cascade I think I need to think about wiring a little at some stage and reduce the apex (?).. but wanted to make sure they were thriving before hitting them with more work
Ramapo 1
beg / mid June ( about 4 weeks after arrival ) and the the second pic is today Rhod impeditum Ramapo 1.jpgRI Ramapo 1 b.jpg

Ramapo 2 - same time scales to pictures as above

Rhod impeditum Ramapo 2.jpgRamapo 2 b.jpg

The next ones are the " mixed up boys" .. so I believe they are all either Rosinetta or Canonetta .. hopefully can id next spring ( DUUHH)
Brave heart .. ( because I really butchered him and thought I had gone too far .. we are not out of the woods as he definately has not budded as strongly as the others .. but he is moving
Brave heart.jpgbrave heart 2.jpg

V man
Here I at least managed to get a photo before and after some pruning at the weekend
V form a.jpgV form 2.jpgV form.jpg
I put a very little wire on him

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
Next of the mixed up boys - this one I got no earlier pics .. just a before and after prune from the weekend .. but I think it is clear that I was quite 'brave' with this one too 4 trunk 2.jpg4 trunk.jpg

No name 1
Az 1.jpgAz 1b.jpg

No name 2 - this one I have only one from the weekend, but again, I think you can see how it was cut back .. I left a few long branches for insurance .. I will probably cut back to new buds next year
Az 3.jpg

So now , I am pretty sure these are " Pleasant Whites"
Az 2.jpga2 b.jpg
Az pink pot.jpgAz pink pot b.jpg

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
and FINALLY ... the last one . now , this one I got last year when I was not only a newbie to Bonsai. .but I was probably in a high Minus area with regards to my knowledge .. so I know he looks ridiculous ;-)
I was planning on waiting until he flowered , then tackling the styling ... HOWEVER, I have waited , and waited and waited .. he has been showing buds since end May .. thought he was late due to a late frost we have .. I have a Rhodi in my flowerbeds who got flower buds the same time ..... but 2 months later .. nothing has happened .. to either of them ... anyone any idea why he ( and the other) has flower buds (they look like flower buds .... ) but nothing has happened ...? I checked on the internet and could only find that may too much fertiliser in the spring .. but I did not give them much ( I thought anyway ) Ronny 1.jpgRonny buds.jpg
now of course I feel like it is a bit late to be cutting him back .. so he may need to wait again until next spring

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very Nice! Lots of “good stuff” happening in this group of trees! I’m very excited to see the progression..

I really think that the “four trunk” and “Ramapo 2” are going to be quite unique and can’t wait to see how you decide to “guide them”.

Reactions: JoB

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I used to have a 'Canzonetta' and those leaves on yours don't remind me of it (kinda impossible to ID these apart from those new growth leaves anyway). But that may be summer leaves vs spring leaves. I remember them being very round. 'Rubinetta' is a very in the family tree. I think 'Canzonetta' is a double flower (usually) but 'Rubinetta' is not? That will differentiate it. 'Canzonetta' is a nice shade of hot pink.

Reactions: JoB

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very Nice! Lots of “good stuff” happening in this group of trees! I’m very excited to see the progression..

I really think that the “four trunk” and “Ramapo 2” are going to be quite unique and can’t wait to see how you decide to “guide them”.
I cant wait to find out how i guide them too... 😋. I am going with the "if i have enough of them hopefully i can keep some alive an one or two may be easy on the eye" 😋

JoB

Yamadori
Reaction score
I used to have a 'Canzonetta' and those leaves on yours don't remind me of it (kinda impossible to ID these apart from those new growth leaves anyway). But that may be summer leaves vs spring leaves. I remember them being very round. 'Rubinetta' is a very in the family tree. I think 'Canzonetta' is a double flower (usually) but 'Rubinetta' is not? That will differentiate it. 'Canzonetta' is a nice shade of hot pink.
According to the Labels which i surprisingly kept, just not on the pots 🙈, half of them are canzonetta and the other rubinetta.... And from the pictures on the Labels you are correct about the flowers

Top Bottom