various cuttings

jaycraig

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so i have a few itogawa and shimpaku juniper cuttings i wanted to propagate and i just found out that nov- dec is the best time for to plant them. im pretty sure its not too late but how much would it delay the root growth process to plant them now and what's the science in planting them in the winter?

is it also a suited time to plant cherry blossom, prunus subhirtella autumnalis and japanese maple cuttings this time?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I strike shimpaku cuttings almost all year down here but we don't have really cold winter. Winter cuttings are quite slow to root. Spring and early summer cuttings root much quicker so I prefer to do cuttings in warmer weather.

Deciduous hardwood cuttings are often easier in winter when the wood is dormant because there's no leaves to dessicate the stems before roots start but softer cuttings root quicker during spring and summer but those cuttings with leaves require misting or high humidity to stop them dehydrating.

I have not tried Prunus subhirtella so can't offer direct experience.
I have tried to strike JM but have very low success. Some others can strike cuttings but mine all seem to die off either before or after roots form so I stick to seedlings for maple stock.

Top Bottom