Various pine seeds stratification period

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all.

I picked up some pine seeds last autumn. Pinus densiflora, pinus thunbergii and pinus nigra. The nigra I collected locally and the other two I purchased online. I stored them all in the fridge from Oct/ Nov time and at the end of January I took them out, brought them up to room temperature, put them in warm water for 24 hrs, then popped them into bags of damp substrate and put them back in the fridge.

Can anyone advise on the ideal time that each of the 3 species'should spend stratifying at this stage before planting on?

Thanks in advance!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On JBP & JRP go with 30 days. You have nothing to lose and you Will get a higher percentage of seeds to germinate. I am stratifying JRP at this time, just started.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've stratified JBP seed for 0 days and still had good germination.
Usually I sow outdoors and let the big fridge do the work naturally. They start to appear as days get warmer in spring but just to test the my theory that JBP seed does not really need stratification. I sowed a batch well after the last frost and they still germinated as well as any that have been in the fridge.

So now you have a full range of stratification times from 0-30 days all claiming good results. Take your pick.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I have pinus densiflora and the bag says no pretreatment is needed. I was going to put mine in a seedling tray around late April.
I have no idea for the others. Where do you buy your seeds from?

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have pinus densiflora and the bag says no pretreatment is needed. I was going to put mine in a seedling tray around late April.
I have no idea for the others. Where do you buy your seeds from?
I purchased them on eBay from a seller in Italy

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
According to Dirr, any of these seeds fresh require no pretreatment, however if they have been stored, they may require a couple months of cold stratification.
Once again, It Depends.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I sowed JBP, Black Spruce, and Bristlecone pine from one of those cheap kits with no stratification. They germinated quite well for me. I did scrape the seed casings a little bit before soaking for 24 hrs though, so maybe that helped.

Top Bottom