Vaseline

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
So I tried to use vaseline as a substitute for cut paste. While I believe its worked fantastically, I also think I've used way to much lol

It's beginning to run down this section of the tree. You can see the discoloration.

20190405_182234.jpg

I've also used it on some cuts on the trunk, and don't want it to prevent any buds from emerging, or any other ill will to the tree.

Any suggestions on how I can safely remove it? What I can use to wipe it off the trunk?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Duct seal works well, and really cheap at HD or Lowes. Don't know about the Vaseline.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I tried to use vaseline as a substitute for cut paste. While I believe its worked fantastically, I also think I've used way to much lol

It's beginning to run down this section of the tree. You can see the discoloration.

I've also used it on some cuts on the trunk, and don't want it to prevent any buds from emerging, or any other ill will to the tree.

Any suggestions on how I can safely remove it? What I can use to wipe it off the trunk?
I think a little rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) should dissolve Vaseline and won't harm your tree.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Now you know why people buy cut paste ?. Actually though, callous mate or the putty stuff is easily removable, that cut paste in the metal tube is awful and won’t come off, the white and green, don’t buy that shit. A few bucks is worth not having a mess to clean up. Some people use caulk apparently, as a cheaper alternative, and that peels right off nice and clean. I think @Mellow Mullet uses caulk or has used caulk. Maybe look into that, I think you can even get it in brown.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks everyone lol

I saw something where @Walter Pall mentioned using vaseline, so I figured I'd give it a shot lol

I really think I just used to much of it.

No worries, live and learn. After all, who needs cut paste anyway!! :cool::p

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You went a little overboard but the wound looks fine. I don’t think anything will be negatively affected.
The wetness you see is probably the tree water leaking from the wound and getting past the Vaseline.
Not sure if cut paste completely block all sap from escaping or not?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've read that Nick Lenz favored using Vaseline covered with aluminum foil. He thought the Al had magical healing properties.

I use lanolin because I have it on hand for other purposes. I also use wood glue, parafilm, plastic wrap, polyethylene gardening tape, and even self-amalgamating silicone tape. Lanolin melts and runs when it gets hot, similar to Vasaline, but comes off fairly easily with isopropyl. I most often use it with thread grafts. It really doesn't take much to accomplish the purpose.

I use wood glue atop the ring of cambium exposed by a branch cut/chop - 'healing' lifts it off, eventually. I have parafilm around for grafting - it naturally degrades over the course of a year or so, but is easily removed before then. Sometimes, I use saran or gardener's green tape after branch removal or bark damage when it is easily wrapped around a stem to cover the wound (even raccoon scratches on my landscape trees).

IMHO, one just needs a temporary moisture barrier that lasts two or three weeks. After that I see no value in any coverings/pastes. However, if they transmit oxygen, as does silicone, they can remain over large areas for extended periods. But it is pointless if not promptly applied, whatever you use.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Often see material in training at New England Bonsai and Bonsai West with Vaseline applied in a THIN coat followed by a layer of foil.
Perfectly fine for the tree and has been used for some time in nursery circles.
Dis-coloration most likely from sap flow.....should be fine. Just need a thin film covering the wound.:cool:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hans Van Meer, an EU artist was the one who authored the "Van Meer Technique" for healing wounds on larch. In the article he used vasoline and aluminum foil. I believe Hans and Nick Lenz knew each other, I don't know who used the technique first. Google Han's blog, the article is there.

What are you saying? Lol!

Yeah screw Vaseline......
Its only good for .....getting in the brown too..I mean..

No good on trees!

Happy Fucking Spring!

Sorce

It's not wrong, Illinois is a blue state.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vaseline is fine, if Harry Harrington and Lenz use it, I wouldn't doubt them. I have used it for a number of years on smaller cuts, duct seal for big chops.

Top Bottom