Vendors on Amazon

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I got a amazon gift card from work and was thinking of spending it on some bonsais materials, pots, soil mix, books, tools. Who knows! Was wondering if you all have preferred brands or vendors that sell on amazon. Would obviously prefer to shop local, but a gift card is a gift card!

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have any trees? If not, snatch a few up at the end-of-season sales sure to be coming up and then once you figure what you'll need, buy accordingly. Just off-hand, soil and maybe pots would probably be at the top of your list

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've heard good things about Bonsai Jack's soils and I saw they are available on Amazon. Amazon does mark it up a bit though from what he sells it for on his site.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve had success with live shipping... as long as it’s a reputable nursery... for tools and whatnot (on amazon) you could just search brands.

🤓

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you have any trees? If not, snatch a few up at the end-of-season sales sure to be coming up and then once you figure what you'll need, buy accordingly. Just off-hand, soil and maybe pots would probably be at the top of your list
I do have a little dwarf juniper that I got as some nursery stock. Repotted to give it room to grow until spring. Besides that I just some propagated red maple cuttings (about 5 weeks old) and some virgins cedar saplings that are about 2 ft tall now that I’m thinking of collecting from the yard when the time is right

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok here's a suggestion from left-field: a grow light

You can grow some cuttings, seedlings, a tropical tree or two - just enough to scratch that bonsai itch over the winter.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ok here's a suggestion from left-field: a grow light

You can grow some cuttings, seedlings, a tropical tree or two - just enough to scratch that bonsai itch over the winter.
Hey now that’s not a bad idea. I was feeling a bit like, “if I buy potting or pruning stuff now, I’ll just have to sit and watch it unused for half a year until spring!” Do you think maple cuttings can survive inside with a grow lamp?

edit:spelling

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey now that’s not a bad idea. I was feeling a bit like, “if I buy potting or pruning stuff now, I’ll just have to sit and watch it unused for half a year until spring!” Do you think maple cuttings can survive inside with a grow lamp?

edit:spelling

From a light requirement aspect, absolutely. But I'm not sure how the lack of a dormancy period (ie: winter) would impact them. Gonna wait for a more experienced member to weigh in.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I second Bonsai Jacks for bark, lava etc. You should look for books there as well. Wire, tools and even pots.
I consider Amazon the number one source NOT to buy plants from. Plants and seeds on Amazon is a joke.

SantaFe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got a amazon gift card from work and was thinking of spending it on some bonsais materials, pots, soil mix, books, tools. Who knows! Was wondering if you all have preferred brands or vendors that sell on amazon. Would obviously prefer to shop local, but a gift card is a gift card!
My only suggestion is to think about tools that would be just as good and much cheaper in a non-bonsai version. Bonsai wire cutters are often $40 and up, when a good pair of Craftsman wirecutters runs about $8.95. Similar with pliers. Some bonsai tools, like maybe the long scissors, don’t seem to have good alternatives. But many do.

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My only suggestion is to think about tools that would be just as good and much cheaper in a non-bonsai version. Bonsai wire cutters are often $40 and up, when a good pair of Craftsman wirecutters runs about $8.95. Similar with pliers. Some bonsai tools, like maybe the long scissors, don’t seem to have good alternatives. But many do.
This is really helpful I wondered, outside of concave cutters, and long scissors, why I wouldn’t just be able to us regular garden pruners and stuff

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is really helpful I wondered, outside of concave cutters, and long scissors, why I wouldn’t just be able to us regular garden pruners and stuff

You can definitely begin with household items and move up when you must, when you identify what your needs will be.

Cuticle Cutters are the best Bonsai tool there is.

Shipping plants now isn't recommended, certainly not USPS. It's almost certain death.

Sell the gift card and shop local!

Sorce

Top Bottom