Vert Wilt? What are your thoughts?

Brinley123

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What are you thoughts on deshojo maple, its had complete dieback at the top and alot of the branches however its generating alot of growth low down. I pray its now VC however its got alot of branch blackening and mould growing on some tips.

Should I go ahead and chop it a few inches down on the trunk past the dead wood or leave it to recover, that is, if it ever will!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cut off the dead part whenever you want. Look at the wood cross-section for dark rings. If you don't see any dark rings in the wood, it likely was not verticillium, but something else. Pay close attention to the transition area of the trunk, where is changes between clearly alive versus dead.

Regardless, sanitize your cutting tool before/after each cut (wipe with 70% isopropyl alcohol is one way that is kind to the metal). Not doing so is a primary way to spread pathogens.

Brinley123

Seedling
Reaction score
So wouls you say it definetely needs the chop? Its seems such a shame because of the ramification but thats me not wanting to admit that part has gone. I have chopped a few branches and found no rings at all. What else could it be?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are lots of possible pathogens. Two that come to mind are nectria canker and pseudomonas syrangae.

Nectria primarily infests the phloem (inner bark) and so progresses downward from a wound. Were this nectria the top of your tree would have suddenly died late last summer and then been covered with little orange fruiting bodies for a few weeks.

Psuedomonas syrangae is a bacterium that tends to gain entry in winter by being a nucleation site for water crystalization. The crystals make small wounds in the bark through which the bacterium then infects the cambium. It is usually associated with blackish oozy bark necroses after a freezing rain.

Then there is fusarium wilt and etc., etc. You may need a lab analysis to definitively identify exactly what killed the top of your tree. Nevertheless, physical observations of the association of tissue damage and discoloration are a central part of the analysis.

And, it is also possible that no pathogen is involved. Outcomes similar to this are possible if the top of the tree was in bright sun and exposed to drying winds over the winter. I know nothing of its wintering nor of your climactic conditions.

The bottom line is, if it is a pathogen in the phloem, death will continue moving downward. You had best chop it below the line of death or you are going to just watch it die a little lower each day. If it is a pathogen in the xylem, what is dead is dead, but at some point the pathogen will release spores and potentially infect any and every thing that can be and is near by. Lastly, there may be no pathogenic cause. Then the top of the tree is just dead and will forever be dead. There is no mechanism for it to spring back to life. It can only rot.

So, there is little need to do anything other than watch, for now.

Brinley123

Seedling
Reaction score
Absolutely amazing knowledge! Thank you so much, essentially its needs chopping back ASAP after I identify what else happens to the tree and then fingers crossed for the growthto continue, if it continues to die then just need to get rid of the tree and disinfect the pot before prior use.

Ill get researching about how to cut this tree best, once again thank you for your help!

Top Bottom