Very cool oregon trees, then Elandan today, PRC tomorrow...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So after a week of freeze dried food, and backpacking in the wallowas, we drove up to Tacoma today, and went to see Elandan,with the wonderful hospitality of Will Hiltz. Had a really mind opening experiance there, spent more than 4 hours with the collection,and surprisingly with Dan the man himself for most of that time. It is so right to talk to the person who is invested in the tree or in the process...

I cant even describe the Elandan experiance to you, it must be seen to be believed. And I think if you can get out there , nothing will ever look the same to you. But the book is a good starting point, and does capture the essence of the man and his aesthetic.

Ill have some trip photos in the near future that I'll post, but wanted to share this in case someone is near here that hasnt taken advantage of the gardens to learn.

Tomorrow we are heading to the pacific rim gardens to see the collection there on our way back to Portland, my only wish is that I would've had enough time to visit more with G52, and his collection.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was great to meet you and your husband, and to have the privilege to introduce you and Dan to each other. I'm so glad you came by. Have a safe trip home.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They seem to be right neighborly folks.
Seems you are having a nice road trip.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Judy. Is he in Tacoma or Bremerton? I have a brother outside Tacoma and maybe I can visit there on my next trip to see him?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Judy -- I am sooooo glad you were able to make it (we both wished we could have been there as well) .... having Will and Dan as guides to Elandan is as good as it gets!!!

Sounds like the Elandan experience was all that we had hoped it would be for you !!

Judy. Is he in Tacoma or Bremerton? I have a brother outside Tacoma and maybe I can visit there on my next trip to see him?

Technically its Gorst ... which is about 15ft from Bremerton (where Vic and I live) ..... its about 30mins(or less) from Tacoma on hwy16

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Pretty quick drive from where we were staying near the tacoma dome.. You will really enjoy it. There is so much to see, you'll want to allow plenty of time for the visit. I could've spent an entire day there and still not have soaked it all in. I think that to understand it fully, you need to just sit and be with it for awhile.

Thanks Eric, it was wonderful that Will made the time for us, it was a big experience. My mind is still sorting thru it.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Judy! I'll def have to stop by next time im in the area. And I'll allow a full day then. Again, Thanks"

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
fore, call ahead when you want to go there, and ask at Elandan if Dan will be there when you visit - if so it will make the visit even more special. Let us BNut Locals know as well, and we'd be happy to meet you there if we can and if you'd like.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well the Pacific Rim collection didn't dissapoint, it was an amazing representation of beautiful old trees, by obvious masters of technique. And even more obvious is the care that is taken to present them in their most perfect state. Our own Dick Benbow is part of the team that maintains and cares for these lovely specimens. We got to meet him while we were there, he was nonchalantly working on a large forest grouping. Was great to see him, he's one fortunate individual to be working with such material.

I did have a couple of favorite trees, I don't know if I'm allowed to post the photos here, I'll wait for dick to tell me if that's ok... There was an amazing tucker oak that was my favorite, and a small hackberry.

We fly home today a bit early, so we will miss the opportunity to get to telpherion farms, next time for sure!

Thanks to all in the great PNW for a great trip!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
fore, call ahead when you want to go there, and ask at Elandan if Dan will be there when you visit - if so it will make the visit even more special. Let us BNut Locals know as well, and we'd be happy to meet you there if we can and if you'd like.

That's very gracious of you Will, Thanks. I'll def take you up on the offer. ;)
And good advice about calling and visiting when Dan is there.

Now you've done it Judy, now Im going to have to visit the PRC now too...no arm twisting required lol

Top Bottom