Very Few Leaves

CrisisQuaid

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey there! A few months ago I got myself nice little Chinese Elm. As a rookie I made the mistake of assuming the soil it came in would be sufficient. The soil eventually became quite hard and the tree lost most of its leaves. I repotted it in a better pot, and some Akadma bonsai soil. Now it’s been probably about 2 months, and the tree has regrown some of its leaves, but it still looks quite bare. I was wondering if this is normal, and if not what are some factors I could check to help promote more leaf growth in my tree. Please go easy on me, I’m learning as fast as I can and I hope I haven’t embarrassed myself too much.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it inside or out? Can't help without knowing you climate. Where are you? Post it in your profile so you can get appropriate advice.

CrisisQuaid

Seedling
Reaction score
Is it inside or out? Can't help without knowing you climate. Where are you? Post it in your profile so you can get appropriate advice.
Forgot to mention that the tree is kept indoors with a grow light. I’ve attached a photo of my tree. I’m working on getting the tree in good health before I focus on any kind of styling.

Attachments

• 26D65455-82A4-4C06-AF66-07E9762B08B5.jpeg
    26D65455-82A4-4C06-AF66-07E9762B08B5.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 51

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are going to try to keep it inside I can just say good luck. I haven't been able to yet I find them indestructible out side in my area. Obviously I can't speak to you about yours as it is a secret.
Good Luck.

CrisisQuaid

Seedling
Reaction score
If you are going to try to keep it inside I can just say good luck. I haven't been able to yet I find them indestructible out side in my area. Obviously I can't speak to you about yours as it is a secret.
Good Luck.
I’m located in Cumming, Georgia.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For this winter, keep it alive inside the way you are now. Cooler is better than warmer. In spring, bring it outside and let it grow for a bit. For now, just kee it alive.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Inside with just a grow light during winter, you'll likely not see a whole lot of growth. Your tree just thinks it's a warmer winter right now.

Elms love bright sunlight, so if you can but it in a window WITH the light also, you might do better. I'm doing alright with a bay laurel, pepper bush, and others in my north facing window with a couple of the just red and blue lights on during the day for an extra boost. They're all either stagnant but healthy, or growing very slowly.

Chinese elms are subtropical trees, so full dormancy for them is optional, but they still need lots of light. Come spring you'll want to slowly harden it off before leaving it outside. Take it out into the shade during the day, then back in at night for a few days, then a bit more light, and eventually into full sun. A week or so of this gets the tree used to real sun again, otherwise you could scorch the leaves. If you've ever kept a vegetable garden and started seeds indoors, you might be familiar with the practice already.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am not sure why this is written everywhere. But I would not call a species hardy to USDA zone 4 subtropical. Rather I would call them semi-deciduous?

"USDA Zone curious" :)

Certainly in Georgia, you can keep them outside all year. I keep mine outside in North Carolina, and some of mine haven't even dropped leaves yet.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Give it as much light and humidity as you can and get it outside as soon as weather permits. This, to me, means temps in mid 20s and up.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am not sure why this is written everywhere. But I would not call a species hardy to USDA zone 4 subtropical. Rather I would call them semi-deciduous?
Nativity vs ability I think is the thought process there, but you're not wrong. That may be a better description.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
semi-deciduous
This is a term that has been used for at least several decades among nurserymen ( sorry that nursery person doesn't sound right) I heard the term when I was 15 years old working for an old time nurseryman who was 72 at the time.
It includes many more plants than people generally think of in these terms.

CrisisQuaid

Seedling
Reaction score
Give it as much light and humidity as you can and get it outside as soon as weather permits. This, to me, means temps in mid 20s and up.
Are you suggesting that it’s just not worth trying to keep my Chinese Elm as an indoor tree? Or rather that keeping it outside will help it heal in the meantime?

Top Bottom