Very Few Leaves

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do not move it outside until the spring. It has not had the opportunity to transition to winter dormancy and would likely die. Keep it inside as suggested with as much light as possible and don’t let it dry out. It may not completely re-leaf until it is outside again getting more light. For now you just want to get it through the winter.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you suggesting that it’s just not worth trying to keep my Chinese Elm as an indoor tree? Or rather that keeping it outside will help it heal in the meantime?
Yes?
Trying to transition it to very cold outdoor weather right now may be more than it can take, but it definitely needs plenty of light heal. A sunny window with the light should do it.

Some say that they can't be kept indoors at all, but I'm always experimenting on trees that way, so you you won't hear it from me. You do need to give it as much light as you possibly can, though.

CrisisQuaid

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes?
Trying to transition it to very cold outdoor weather right now may be more than it can take, but it definitely needs plenty of light heal. A sunny window with the light should do it.

Some say that they can't be kept indoors at all, but I'm always experimenting on trees that way, so you you won't hear it from me. You do need to give it as much light as you possibly can, though.
Well thanks for the advice, I was just confused because I’ve heard that Chinese Elms can be kept indoors. I’ve moved it to a sunny window and I’m watching it carefully.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well thanks for the advice, I was just confused because I’ve heard that Chinese Elms can be kept indoors. I’ve moved it to a sunny window and I’m watching it carefully.
there is a lot of misinformation re. bonsai in commercial trade. And particularly some of the species sold commercially by big chains seem to have a lot of mystique around them. Its an elm. Elms do well in most temperate zones outdoors.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
there is a lot of misinformation re. bonsai in commercial trade. And particularly some of the species sold commercially by big chains seem to have a lot of mystique around them. Its an elm. Elms do well in most temperate zones outdoors.
He's right. Many of the shops that sell trees as bonsai don't actually have a clue about bonsai, and are also inclined to tell you whatever they think you want to hear to make a sale.
All trees are born and bread to be outside, so they will always do better outside. Some adjust to indoor life quite well, others not so much.
A Chinese elm COULD be kept indoors indefinitely IF you can meet it's hefty light requirements.

Top Bottom