Very late bud push?

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I have this small Amur Maple that lost its leaves early from a multitude of factors (sun, heat, water quality). I've addressed all those issues, and it is now pushing out new buds, and it's almost November! Is this a problem? If it is a problem, is there anything I can do about it? Thanks!

PXL_20201026_203454976.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Needs chilling. I can't imagine that's going to end well if it breaks into new leaf now.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In spring we get cold snaps as well, so an overnight fridge placement wouldn't stop it from leafing out. I honestly don't know what the best approach would be.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are in San Jose, California. Is that not a warm place? I would let it leaf out. Place in the sunniest spot you can find. And protect from cold nights (But I think you normally do not really get frost?).
Then let the plant sort out dormancy by itself.

Frost would be my main concern. I see that in mild winters we even have trees that keep leaves till januari.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Let the tree do what it wants. I have had maples grow new buds late and have leaves all through winter. They reverted to normal programming after spring.
Even if these new leaves do drop it should not be a huge issue. Just like a summer defoliation and in the meantime the tree will have advantage of some leaf to provide much needed energy.
Be prepared for the worst. The 'multitude of factors' you mention may already have weakened the tree to the brink. I am worried that the other trunk is not also shooting but I hope some or all of it can survive for you.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
San Jose is marginally cool enough to keep an Amur, I think.
Have you had it long, @eeeealmo ?
I got it early spring 2018 so I've had it 2 full growing seasons. We have awful water, and midway through the year I got an RO system which fixed one of its issues. I have lots of other maples, so I'm confident if I can get it through the winter it'll be ok next year.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think this is in partial response to my post? I was more referring to: It will not get that cold, so do not worry about some leaves now :)
All that was in my mind was that Amur is a colder climate tree, and likely has a high bud chilling time requirement. In too warm a climate bud burst gets forced before adequate chill --> consequence is the tree produces fewer and fewer buds until it doesn't.

This is only its second season with @eeeealmo, so I'm left wondering if this is or is not part of the process of which I was thinking. I think I will not belabor the point since @eeeealmo's 'complaint' is that it is leafing out when it shouldn't as opposed to not leafing out when it is spring time.

Sorry that I didn't acknowledge your point that the growth from these particular buds bursting won't get frozen in the San Jose climate. It was on my mind too, I had drafted a response, yours appeared, so I didn't post and the issue became an already-said, out-of-mind aspect of my thinking. I've liked you post:
You are in San Jose, California. Is that not a warm place? I would let it leaf out. Place in the sunniest spot you can find. And protect from cold nights (But I think you normally do not really get frost?).
Then let the plant sort out dormancy by itself.

Frost would be my main concern. I see that in mild winters we even have trees that keep leaves till januari.

Top Bottom