Very Nice Boxwood... Help!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn that was already a week ago!

She been off work since that post so I feel like it's the weekend still!

Glad to see that growth.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce I have yet to see any yellow or signs of stress, lots of bright green and new buds. The interior is also starting to green up slowly. It just feels better when I am looking at it lots of air flow, light, and water able to get in its great

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So nice and it's not even summer yet!

If you've gone in and identified some "proper nexts" to cut back to, them next forks and taper segments, it probably wouldn't hurt to remove or wire away excess BS from the sac canopy to light em up and let em know time to work is coming.

Mark em by removing the side branches directly above them too.

If your eyed proper nexts read a good vigour, you could probably cut back to them before fall growth, since you already have the root situation in good order.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce since you know my tree here is a rough drawing of it. I just want to clarify what you are saying.
Are you saying mark/remove the small shoots coming off of the larger branches to tell the whole branch it is next?
Or are you saying find those large drastic cuts and mark around them then once it is inthe summer pause cut back to those drastic cuts?
Or are you just saying go in and take out the crotch growth and triples etc

sorry I am a very visual learner so this will help haha

Attachments

• bx2.jpg
    bx2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 11

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's good.

You could probably remove one of the three Branches from a couple places if they won't wire away easy and will really help.

But those close shoots can go sure. So when you go back in, you're only looking for that long bare neck to cut off.

It may pay to carefully guide the keepers away from where your very sharp saw will have to run.
But too, you could cut it to a long stump and keep it from budding till winter, when you can safely grind it back.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's good.

You could probably remove one of the three Branches from a couple places if they won't wire away easy and will really help.

But those close shoots can go sure. So when you go back in, you're only looking for that long bare neck to cut off.

It may pay to carefully guide the keepers away from where your very sharp saw will have to run.
But too, you could cut it to a long stump and keep it from budding till winter, when you can safely grind it back.

Sorce
perfect and wait till the summer lull to do this correct?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
perfect and wait till the summer lull to do this correct?

I'd clean the shoot growth from just above the keepers now.
Probably remove a branch or 2 as they prove shady.

Then make the hard cut before fall growth.

I reckon you have a good feel for it and solid patience. You hear it, oblige. Enjoy the dance.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Me dancing out to my boxwood.. 😂

Attachments

• 1654179600864.png
    1654179600864.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom