Very Old Japanese Mini-Scroll

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This scroll is very small, image is 10-1/2 x 4-1/2 inches. As it is mounted, it is 12-1/2 x 5-3/4 inches. It is professionally dry-mounted on acid free foam core because the silk scroll was literally disintegrating due to wear over many years. The Japanese seller I bought this from about 15 years ago said it was c. about 1750. Could be, I can't say. Comfortably I would say 19th c. It is a very interesting painting with symbolism that is probably beyond me. Even though quite old and worn, it has some fascinating features the longer one studies it. For instance, the wood or rock seat the deity sits upon has an apex that looks like a creature, perhaps a bird of prey. The eye painted on the top of it is very expressive. The old Buddhist / Shinto Priest is offering a scroll to the two lesser demon like deities. The more one studies the piece, the more interesting it appears.
I am asking only $65 for this piece of artwork from old Japan. Shipping is included anywhere in the USA. I would consider shipping overseas but it would require an additional charge dependent upon the destination. I would guess about $20 or so, but this is just a guess. Tracking is a problem with overseas shipping as it is not included in first class mail, so shipping by priority overseas would probably be around $35. I am just putting it out there because most often my overseas bonsai friends are excluded from these offers and I feel bad about that considering how many splendid people I have met on this site.IMG_5189.JPGIMG_5191.JPGIMG_5190.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ordered them directly out of Japan from an art seller many years ago. I have had and to some extent still do have, prints, scrolls, bronzes, bizen ware, cloisonne, chempleve, silk obis, alters etc
I sold all these things in my gallery (now closed) and at antiques shows in the mid Atlantic region.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s really cool! This one is awesome! I’m considering it. Do you have any with trees?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No I don't. I believe I only have the 2 listed and one other Goddess one. I might run across another or two as I go through things but I may have sold the rest years ago.

Top Bottom