Very pleased with the Chinese Quince...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like it better with that lower left branch removed, but the remaining stub bothers me. One of the charms of CQ is smooth and patterned bark, and to me, this is distracting. I’d rather see a healed cut with that characteristic bark, where the story is triumph over trauma.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it better with that lower left branch removed, but the remaining stub bothers me. One of the charms of CQ is smooth and patterned bark, and to me, this is distracting. I’d rather see a healed cut with that characteristic bark, where the story is triumph over trauma.
Thanks...food for thought to chew over. As they don't heal scars well. I've not settled on anything as of yet.

Had one I respect...offer his thoughts on it. Went with that. Though...Bill V. Did suggest cut flat as you say. So that too is in the back of my head. Was going with this ones guidance...as I like his trees...for now. 😉

Yes... I too...am glad that distracting lower branch is gone. Thanks for pushing me to chew it over as you did. I do credit you for the initial push.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your quince has come a long way. I am jealous. I bought one in December from Bill V., and it died this winter. Don't know why, it was nestled in with some oaks and hornbeams in similar sized pots, but it was the only thing that died.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your quince has come a long way. I am jealous. I bought one in December from Bill V., and it died this winter. Don't know why, it was nestled in with some oaks and hornbeams in similar sized pots, but it was the only thing that died.
We had a really strange winter... sorry to hear you lost yours. 😔

Thanks for the kind words. 😘

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Heading into it's fall blush... quite happy where it's headed with that left first branch removed this spring.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Amazing what less than a week does to fall colors. Outside on the bench ...natural light.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like your tree a lot, but I tend to agree with what BVF said previously. That stub that remains on the trunk is jarring. I would be inclined to take it down with concave cutters. This, of course, would leave you with a scar that would take some time to heal, but ultimately will result in a nicer tree, IMO.

Just my two cents.

Cory

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like your tree a lot, but I tend to agree with what BVF said previously. That stub that remains on the trunk is jarring. I would be inclined to take it down with concave cutters. This, of course, would leave you with a scar that would take some time to heal, but ultimately will result in a nicer tree, IMO.

Just my two cents.

Cory
That's fine Cory... 🙂

I do intend to carve it out more. But it won't be a smooth flush scar. I actually wish for a more natural look. I've carving tools since I took that branch off. I've not taken the time to do more. But...it won't be a flush scar. 😉 I'll use the rolled over healed area as my perimeter and move inward. Making a more gradual natural broken branch scar. That's...my thinking.
Screenshot_20231029_120311_Gallery.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Just my two cents.

Cory
I'll add this. My bonsai circle...is heavily based across the pond. Where they do noticeable scars. I prefer their trees over ones in the states. There is no wrong...just personal preference.

I've also three heavily scarred JM added in a years time. I absolutely love a scar on a trunk. 😉 you won't see me healing them.

Last edited:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've also three heavily scarred JM added in a years time. I absolutely love a scar on a trunk. 😉 you won't see me healing them.
I saw your hollow trunk JM and I like it very much. Definitely not a traditional JM, but it's nice to see trees that break tradition in a pleasing way. I've always been more drawn to the naturalistic style of Walter Pall and Dan Robinson rather than the heavily refined Japanese style. However, I've learned more of an appreciation for traditional Japanese bonsai and have softened my anti-establishment mentality over the years. Now I'm trying to incorporate both philosophies into my own trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I saw your hollow trunk JM and I like it very much. Definitely not a traditional JM, but it's nice to see trees that break tradition in a pleasing way. I've always been more drawn to the naturalistic style of Walter Pall and Dan Robinson rather than the heavily refined Japanese style. However, I've learned more of an appreciation for traditional Japanese bonsai and have softened my anti-establishment mentality over the years. Now I'm trying to incorporate both philosophies into my own trees.
Yeah...I can respect that. Look at my collection. I see them as a well manicured female with stiff hair. None in my collection. That's just me. I'm a dress down type person in real life...and rarely wear make-up. I mean...when I say I'm plain vanilla...I'm pretty plain. I like less formal ... and I do character.

I'll take it a step further. I mean no disrespect to anyone. But...I like...when my material is misunderstood when I like it. 😉

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's a beautiful tree no matter how one feels about the branch stub. I like it, but then again I don't mind scars and the "evidence of a hard life".
I think you hit the nail on the head. I myself am the woman I am today...from a hard childhood. Scars...hidden or seen. Make a person/thing who they are. I personally love them!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dormant image...and .. I did attempt to carve the stump a bit. With my carving tools. It was like chiseling steel. 😳 hardwood is absolutely insane! Managed to only make myself bleed.
20231106_154444-edit-20231106154818.jpg

Anyone interested in a video version.

Top Bottom