Video Learning (Skype, ZOOM, etc) viability?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
With social distancing still happening and a lot of clubs wondering if they will even be able to do events in June or July, what is the viability of online one-on-one bonsai education or online workshops? Those of you who teach on the regular, what sorts of issues would come up with this medium, and can you see any advantages to it? I have been itching to gain some education lately, but I'm still practicing social distancing while I see what happens in Tennessee later this month now that we have opened up. Also, our music school has seen great responses from both students and teachers with ZOOM lessons, we went 100% to that format back in April. I wonder if bonsai could similarly surprise us through this medium.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think there were some guys doing just that in december last year. I remember a thread about that, and it being insanely expensive.

I think it's hard to pull off, but it could be done.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I imagine zoom would be just fine, we use it at the university now because of the virus for long distance classes. Participants can mute or unmute as needed, "raise hands" when they have a question, etc. Not the same as face to face but any similar platform should be fine

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first Kaikou Bonsai School class was a repotting session over Zoom. After the lecture the teacher (John Romano) made himself available via video chat to assist. Not ideal but better than no class.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have started using Webex to teach my class. It is not ideal but doable. Internet connection issues can grind it to a halt. Participants need microphone and video capabilities to participate. I like the video chat idea.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Michael hagedorn, Ryan Huston are offering online classes

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ive done a meeting with the Professional I study with, and it worked great.

I did setup my phone on a tripod with the trees arranged like I was taking proper photos and he said it was much easier than just having your phone out in the garden.

Just make it worth your time and theirs by having it be as clear for him to look at your trees as possible.

arjun

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am on the board of Atlanta Bonsai Society and we have started using Zoom for our members. Last month we had a panel discussion/ Q&A which was very interactive and went well. For the next 2 months, we have visiting artists that will be doing a demo virtually using Zoom (Young Choe and Rodney Clemons). Although I wish we had these interactions in-person, Zoom is very user friendly. :)

I also want to mention that Peter Warren and Adam Jones have online learning videos. Below are the links.

Peter Warren (UK)-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUd1ay3XQawhfwdoD_o4Z5Q
Adam Jones (Japan)-https://www.patreon.com/TreeHouseBonsai/posts

If any clubs have any questions for me (lessons learned), please reach out to me.
-Arjun

Top Bottom