Video of Bjorn wiring a tree

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some things to note: see how Bjorn spins the wire on. He holds the tree and branch together with his left hand, and his tight hand holds the wire about 5 to 6 inches away. He uses his forefinger to guid the wire, but it's still about 4 or 5 inches away from the branch.

And then he makes a point to carefully end his wire in little loops under the tip to support the needles.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks @Adair M for sharing,,,would have loved his ending comment but it was cut short. About counter clockwise and clockwise wiring. But it sure helped in showing the spinning you mentioned.
I have learned from my experience that the only time it matters when it's clockwise or counterclockwise is when you have to twist your branch to move it .
If you place the wire clockwise and need to twist the branch counterclockwise the wire will untwist .
If I know I have to twist a branch to move it I also wire it a little loose because when twisting the wire will tighten around the branch And be quick to leave wire marks throughout the growing season .

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Some things to note: see how Bjorn spins the wire on. He holds the tree and branch together with his left hand, and his tight hand holds the wire about 5 to 6 inches away. He uses his forefinger to guid the wire, but it's still about 4 or 5 inches away from the branch.

And then he makes a point to carefully end his wire in little loops under the tip to support the needles.

I also follow him on YouTube .
I like his way of thinking .

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks @Adair M for sharing,,,would have loved his ending comment but it was cut short. About counter clockwise and clockwise wiring. But it sure helped in showing the spinning you mentioned.
I have wired hundreds if not thousands of trees. Only rarely do I have to even think about clockwise or counter clockwise. And when I say rarely, I mean only in about 1 in 50 trees! Usually the spin direction is dictated by the spin direction of previous wire already placed on the tree since you want to minimize crossing wires.

Don't worry about stuff like that until you have mastered the basic technique. Unless you're doing a very dramatic twist, the direction of spin really doesnt matter. If after twisting, you could always add a second wire in the "double helix" style.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's what I was thinking @Adair M ...when you remove it you put it on opposite for scaring and such. But wasn't sure it meant for bends. Thanks!

I still don't quite grasp when bending which section of spiral bends on the branch so it doesn't crack sound. I need to Google it some.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have learned from my experience that the only time it matters when it's clockwise or counterclockwise is when you have to twist your branch to move it .
If you place the wire clockwise and need to twist the branch counterclockwise the wire will untwist .
If I know I have to twist a branch to move it I also wire it a little loose because when twisting the wire will tighten around the branch And be quick to leave wire marks throughout the growing season .
That is what I have heard as well. But I thought it sounded like more was meant to go along with his wiring directional method.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's what I was thinking @Adair M ...when you remove it you put it on opposite for scaring and such. But wasn't sure it meant for bends. Thanks!

I still don't quite grasp when bending which section of spiral bends on the branch so it doesn't crack sound. I need to Google it some.
You don't understand about having the wire on the outside of a curve?

Think about it... when you bend a branch, you stretch one side of the branch, and you compress the other side. If you bend too much, the outside of the curve's bark and wood could break. It's also likely the inside part of the curve did not break since it wasn't being pulled apart, but instead it was being squished together.

Having wire on the outside of the curve prevents you from bending the branch so sharply that you break it. (Actually "prevents" is too strong of a word). The wire makes it harder to overbend the branch.

This concept is LOTS more important to understand than the clockwise/counterclockwise stuff.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lightbulb!

Thanks @Adair M ...no I thought you bent the area where the wire wasn't present. And the wire on either end supported the bend. Where the wire is actually like a splint of sorts taking the bend.

I appreciate your amazing wording that it clicked. I get it now! Mucho gracias!

Top Bottom