Vietnam bonsai

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
If this works it may be an image of the almost ready to pot Jasmine.

It is now 4.5 feet tall and most of the shari work is done...waiting for pot. This is almost the true front may be adjusted a little when potted, rotated a little to the right.
Since I can't get my hands on any lime-sulphur I'll have to use some stain and poly to color the shari.

Attachments

• bonsai2 067.jpg
    bonsai2 067.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bob, very nice tree. looks like it's sitting in the pool of water?
You may contact with some laboratory to see if they can get you lime sulfur. I may get some information for you. bonhe

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks, I had just watered it and hosed down the courtyard to cut the heat a little. Besides, wet trees always look better, wanted to give it more definition for the pic;) The lime sulphur is'nt a problem, I'll just work at it, they just don't use it at all.

Bob

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
Finally got the pot, took the guys about a week to lay it up by hand. Not the best but my chioces are limited. The second picture is the dividing wall being started to seperate it from the 'pond'. On the way I also found some chalk to color the mortar and get away from the plain gray color. This is styled in typical Vietnamese fashion, so it will be understood...we'll see how that works :cool:

Bob

Attachments

• bonsai2 074.jpg
    bonsai2 074.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 58
  • bonsai2 079.jpg
    bonsai2 079.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 51

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
A decent beginning

Potting day, started out a nice cool 90 deg, by the time the 'crew' arrived it was 100+ and getting worse. I needed 4 guys to lift one side of the pot to level it, about 10 min work but well worth it to make the pond look level. The first pic shows two old guys straining to lift about 150 pounds of tree.
The tap root was never completly cut so it continued to thicken, we; along with a helper, spent the next hour cutting about 4 inches off so it sit well in the pot.

Stop to mist the roots, cut more, mist the roots, etc. Send someone for another box of beer, get ice. The beer cooler/pond proved to be a very useful addition.

Steve looking things over "F*** mate that was a real b****!"

I only lost about 10% of the roots, it spent the rest of the day under mist, there shouldn't be any problems.

Bob

Attachments

• bonsai2 084.jpg
    bonsai2 084.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 38
  • bonsai2 087.jpg
    bonsai2 087.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 40
  • bonsai2 083.jpg
    bonsai2 083.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 35
  • bonsai2 091.jpg
    bonsai2 091.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 41

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice composition.

Is the pot cast, or carved stone?

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
thanks rockm, it's layed-up by hand, concrete with re-bar in the horizontal parts. I helped move both parts when it was delivered and figure it weighs around half a ton at least.
I found cement coloring after i had them start the pot, if i'd found it before I could have had a nice clay color, Oh well.

Bob

Top Bottom