Vigour definition?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Im wondering about your thoughts on vigour. Is there a growth rate descriptor scale such as 'vigorous' 'normal' 'weak' 'declining' when comparing intraspecies?

Confusing context: talking to a guy the other day comparing a tree in a forest with a solitaire of the same species. The tree in the forest was to be collected and I said that it was growing vigourously. He said it wasn't. It was just growing normally, the solitaire tree was growing vigourously. The solitaire is of course growing more vigorously but the tree in the forest was still vigorous! Tall, buds, solid, growing no rot or visible disease! It was just growing slower. What do you reckon?

As he is not a tree collecting guy maybe he didn't understand the concept of vigour in this context? Is it correct that both trees can be growing vigorously even if the growth rate is slower in one than the other? Would be interested in what you think.
Cheers!

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think your overthinking ? it , ?and also it depends? If you are growing trees in your yard, feeding , watering , etc I think you could compare growth rates throughout the years and be able to determine growth habits and determine if it’s “vigorous “
Taking a stroll in the woods and seeing a couple of trees of the same species and trying to make any assumption is hard , too many variables . I guess you could say it seems vigours because of the long shoots it is growing , is it this years growth?
What species and what did you observe to make your assumption?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Ha ha ha indeed :0) Do you reckon there is normal growth? Its just weak or vigorous or declining isnt it? Watching this beech for about a few years now. I think it is about 15 years old but can't tell really. Seems to leaf out quite densely no gaps in the canopy for the light below the other trees. It is tall to reach the light. Branches are concentrated at the top of the tree though and not too ramified a sapling is fused with one of its roots. Sapling looks well and leafs out densely too for its height (approx 1m). Looks solid and no rot. Lost all branches low down. One lower branch wound is black inside a bit but poked down inside with a key and its solid sap wood at20180128_155943.jpg about one cm. Impossible to sway it. Here is a recent picture. It's the height of a two storey building. Any ideas on the age of it?20180128_160034.jpgIt's about 5 or 6 m tall didn't get the canopy in here was concentrated on showing the relative position in the stand for the forester.20180128_155943.jpg

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks to be competing for light / water/ and root space

I’d say it probably not thriving but surviving brotha ? It’s going to shoot out long extensions to reach for that light , again trying to survive, photosynthisize

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Ye i reckon so. Do you think its weak? Reckon it might be slow but steady. Hopefully :0)

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes dead I think :( will check it next visit though. I think it's a rotting fallen branch.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this tree is strong, or it would not have made it so far, but it won't get vigorous till it gets up with the rest.

Seems it would get vigorous quicker in your garden!

Sorce

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Indeed Scorce, seriously thinking on this and permission now in hand. Will post a thread if I do.

Top Bottom