Viking Black Chokeberry "Aronia melanocarpa 'Viking"

jesseblunt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Anyone a friend of the Chokeberry? Another of my freebies. Advice/virts would be really helpful. I'm hoping I can have some fun with this guy and see where it goes
THANKS,
Jesse

(Tried to outsmart the photo upload with pre-rotating...sorry for the orientation yo-yo'ing)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 115

jesseblunt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Just luck!
I managed to get the Mugo I posted earlier as well as a snowball viburnum, lilac, and one more that I havent identified. The nursery worker informed me that they were just clearing out stuff from their stock after they had returned from summer shut down of about two weeks we have had great rain this summer, so most everything was doing well. I didnt ask questions...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just luck!
I managed to get the Mugo I posted earlier as well as a snowball viburnum, lilac, and one more that I havent identified. The nursery worker informed me that they were just clearing out stuff from their stock after they had returned from summer shut down of about two weeks we have had great rain this summer, so most everything was doing well. I didnt ask questions...

Have you shared the lilac? I wouldn't mind seeing that...since I picked up some as well.

jesseblunt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Have you shared the lilac? I wouldn't mind seeing that...since I picked up some as well.

I haven't taken pictures if the lilac yet (at least that's what I was told it was...I think :/) I will try to get around to it this evening.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How tall is it? The reason I ask is it looks to be 3 or more foot tall. Odd for that variety honest.

Grimmy

Attachments

• image - Copy.jpg
    image - Copy.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 114

jesseblunt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Pic repost

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 74

jesseblunt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
It is indeed about 3' tall. Any input on their viability as bonsai? I have had no luck searching for info. Is there a better known relative that I can pattern the care and shaping of this tree off of?

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I've never seen aronia used for bonsai although I have one in my yard for fruit. Your variety was also bred for fruit yield, fruit taste, etc. I have the 'Nero' variety.

The leaves aren't huge so if you make the bonsai big enough it could look natural eventually. I'm not sure how big you could get the trunk if you push it. Similarly no clue on leaf reduction. My guess would be that you'll have to experiment and see what happens, either way. Or hope that someone has worked one before and can chime in :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is indeed about 3' tall. Any input on their viability as bonsai? I have had no luck searching for info. Is there a better known relative that I can pattern the care and shaping of this tree off of?

It could as other shrubs develop into a Bonsai. That cultivar has smaller leaves then others so it is a plus. I am "guessing" if you keep the trunk trimmed up and pull the plant up a bit to see nebari it could be worked out. If I were to try on that one I would keep it at 24 inches or so and do a lot of leaf pinching during growing season after a root reduction and Spring potting.

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In Kyuzo Murata's 1991 book, "Four Seasons of Bonsai" there is a photo of a chokeberry, Aronia, in his garden on page 110. The caption says; "Aronia arbutifolia, 30 years old, 33 inches tall. The red chokeberry is uncommon in Japanese bonsai, but it bears fruit reliably every year, and is hardy and easy to grow. Its trunks do not thicken at all, but its rhizomes will send up shoots everywhere, creating a natural group planting."

The photo is nice, a simple grove of a dozen or more trunks of various thickness, none looking thicker than an inch or so. Each trunk has a good crop of berries, looking quite attractive. The pot the planting is in looks like it is in a fairly shallow pot, like one would use for an elm or maple.

K. Murata was the caretaker of the Imperial Bonsai Collection of Japan for a decade or so, so if he says Aronia makes a nice planting, it is "official" as far as Japanese bonsai is concerned.

I know nothing else about Aronia as bonsai except for the information in that caption. Hope that helps.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Update

I was digging around one of my favorite Mom and Pop nurseries today and ran across "Aronia". Looks like the species has good potential as bonsai. Do you have an update on this one?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I got nothing on Aronia. Had a chance to taste the berries, fresh they were horrible. Bitter. I know they are used for preserves, that cooking sweetens them up. I decided not to go for them as bonsai. I prefer bonsai with fruit I can eat. LOL😉

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I got nothing on Aronia. Had a chance to taste the berries, fresh they were horrible. Bitter. I know they are used for preserves, that cooking sweetens them up. I decided not to go for them as bonsai. I prefer bonsai with fruit I can eat. LOL😉
Correct on all fronts. Berries are horrible, nodes are long, and well.... mine has been trampled by my kids and dog .😂 So, it will remain planted in the ground, and we will see if it can survive as a shrub.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Correct on all fronts. Berries are horrible, nodes are long, and well.... mine has been trampled by my kids and dog .😂 So, it will remain planted in the ground, and we will see if it can survive as a shrub.
So I'm pretty sure in ohio this things grow freaking everywhere!!! I mean every single abandoned lot crack every little pocket of dirt.. I had one that naturally twisted in on its self but my lack of noliage couldn't keep it alive. I did learn what happened and won't repeat the same mistakes again. Funny thing I almost didn't close a wound on another tree I have smh.. it would have been an interesting tiny thing but I like native stuff most. So it tried its best to leaf out but that twist in the middle did it in..... i didn't know any better.. that was this early spring... im a pretty quick study when i put my mind to something, or don't want to look at my Dwindling Stock portfolio value! I didn't put paste or anything on it.. that's when i realized i F**k up... right when I realized what the problem was it passed 😕.. but I do think they would be interesting subjects.. they are so freaking Abundant they have to be Sturdy enough for anything bonsai can throw at them... like I said I right now I tend to go against the grain... maybe that's how I learn best? 🤔

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have two back in my veggie garden. Not even the birds eat those berries 😂

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So I'm pretty sure in ohio this things grow freaking everywhere!!! I mean every single abandoned lot crack every little pocket of dirt.. I had one that naturally twisted in on its self but my lack of noliage couldn't keep it alive. I did learn what happened and won't repeat the same mistakes again. Funny thing I almost didn't close a wound on another tree I have smh.. it would have been an interesting tiny thing but I like native stuff most. So it tried its best to leaf out but that twist in the middle did it in..... i didn't know any better.. that was this early spring... im a pretty quick study when i put my mind to something, or don't want to look at my Dwindling Stock portfolio value! I didn't put paste or anything on it.. that's when i realized i F**k up... right when I realized what the problem was it passed 😕.. but I do think they would be interesting subjects.. they are so freaking Abundant they have to be Sturdy enough for anything bonsai can throw at them... like I said I right now I tend to go against the grain... maybe that's how I learn best? 🤔
They can have stunning fall foliage for sure!

Top Bottom