Vine Maple Forest

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a Vine Maple Forest I started a couple years ago. Obviously needs plenty of refinement. The pot it is in is not the end-all either. Front, back pics shown. Critiques, comments always welcome.

image.jpg image.jpg

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So pretty. Maybe they are all a bit to evenly spaced apart for now.

Still great though!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
As Ceijay said, they are too evenly spaced. Also all the same size -- girth and height. Better of you group in smaller clumps, each with one taller tree.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I can understand that critiques. I considered splitting the group and reversing one group to lean the other way. Depending on placement, I could create a small opening a little off center. Another option was to place them in a longer pot/slab on one end so there is a negative space the direction they are leaning. These were all one gallon stock I acquired at a small williamette valley nursery. All were 3-5' whips. I concentrated on selecting material with an interesting twist in the trunk the first 3-4".

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You do have a bit of a picket fence going on there, but I love the maples. I am a huge fan of Acer Circunatum.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
So a consensus maybe that the planting is incomplete? There needs to be larger and smaller material added beyond what is there as well as more haphazard spacing?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So a consensus maybe that the planting is incomplete? There needs to be larger and smaller material added beyond what is there as well as more haphazard spacing?
I would agree with this....some more variety in tree sizes and spacing, some asymmetry would be nice. Here is a good blog post describing putting together a forest, with some good photos as examples/inspiration:
http://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/2014/03/28/creating-a-beech-forest-bonsai/

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Great blog, thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to commend the effort.

But it does say orchard more than forest.

It's hard to hate. The color is wonderful!

Sorce

johnegert

Seedling
Reaction score
There's not much wrong with that group that some refinement of the big cuts and 4 or 6 seedlings wouldn't fix. One of the hardest things to get right when first planting a group is to work the roots so that some trees are very close together. You could kill a lot of that even spacing by working little trees into the mix right at the base of the larger trees.
All of you who get goo goo over the sight of a fine forest need to IMMEDIATELY order "Forest, Rock Planting & Ezo Spruce Bonsai" by Saburo Kato ( put together in English by Bill Valavanis--- a huge contribution) for the sale price of $19.95 at Stone Lantern-- USA, not S. Africa. You will never get a better book. In fact, if you pay the 20 bucks and don't like it, I'll buy it back from you. It was incredibly influential in the old Japanese version, and is that much better now.
john

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorce, if I superglue some crabapples on, will it be better accepted? ;) I have Kato's book it is very inspirational. Thanks for mentioning it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, if I superglue some crabapples on, will it be better accepted? ;)

I was like... Wtf crabapples?
Then I scrolled up, and smacked myself! I'm an asshole!

I hope you are able to get some seedling in there.

Hey, I put some BS ficus cuttings together before for practice, it ain't easy.

I think when I put a real forest together, I will take some change, pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters, and one half dollar, throw em in the pot, and plant trees there according to the sizes. For randomness!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There's not much wrong with that group that some refinement of the big cuts and 4 or 6 seedlings wouldn't fix. One of the hardest things to get right when first planting a group is to work the roots so that some trees are very close together. You could kill a lot of that even spacing by working little trees into the mix right at the base of the larger trees.
All of you who get goo goo over the sight of a fine forest need to IMMEDIATELY order "Forest, Rock Planting & Ezo Spruce Bonsai" by Saburo Kato ( put together in English by Bill Valavanis--- a huge contribution) for the sale price of $19.95 at Stone Lantern-- USA, not S. Africa. You will never get a better book. In fact, if you pay the 20 bucks and don't like it, I'll buy it back from you. It was incredibly influential in the old Japanese version, and is that much better now.
john
One of the BEST books on bonsai in my opinion. A must for everyone's library!

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is a Vine Maple Forest I started a couple years ago.

When I first saw your thumbnails, my first thought was "that vine maple "seed log" is right there under that hump paralleling the line of trees that grew out of both sides of the branch. The image fit so well. Then I read your forest creation method. I was wrong, but the point is, with vine maples you can wind up with a sort of picket fence. Case in point, see my attached vine maple "log", with only the end uncovered for the photo. My intent is to eventually lift it from cover to have a "seed log" apearance with trees. Not trying to argue arrangement/alignment, just saying vine maples can look that way, (sorta).DSCN2492.JPG DSCN2489.JPG

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I'd love to work with vine maples but when I've tried our summer heat wipes them out.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Have you tried keeping them in shade most of the day? They are definitely an understory species and don't mind shade at all.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Have you tried keeping them in shade most of the day? They are definitely an understory species and don't mind shade at all.
Yes but I haven't found the secret yet.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
image.jpg Just a spring update. A little wire and cleanup, not much else. Starting some cuttings to consider adding if they strike.

Top Bottom