Vine Maple - Lime Sulfur use

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I paint the main trunk deadwood with lime sulfur, what concentrate should I use? Full strength out of the bottle? Also, will this harm the growing tissue if I accidentally get the full strength lime sulfur on it?

somegeek_vine_maple_1_4.jpg

somegeek

P.S. - opened this one as my other was hijacked for lime sulfur discussion. :(

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think I'd let it age naturally, Diciduous trees seem to look manufactured w/ lL.S. IMHO. If you do use it dilute it(not sure how much), and paint it on a wetted surface, and yes I believe you need to use care not to get it at strength on the live parts. FYI diluted to instructions it is a dormant treatment that can go on the whole tree, keep it out of the soil though.

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
You can darken the effect of lime sulfur for deciduous trees by adding indian ink or tea. Although i have not tried it on a tree yet my practise shots with dead twigs worked well.

doooug

Seedling
Reaction score
When I paint the main trunk deadwood with lime sulfur, what concentrate should I use? Full strength out of the bottle? Also, will this harm the growing tissue if I accidentally get the full strength lime sulfur on it?

somegeek_vine_maple_1_4.jpg

somegeek

P.S. - opened this one as my other was hijacked for lime sulfur discussion. :(

wow!!! I love this one...

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
For bleaching deadwood, lime sulfur is applied with a paintbrush at full strength; spray the wood with water a few minutes before you start and the LS will apply easier. You will not "hurt" the live portions if you get a little on it; just wipe off with a paper towel, or if it dries, you can brush it off with an old toothbrush. It will flake off with a little effort. You don't want to get any on live wood because it looks sloppy, it's important to establish a clear definition between living and dead wood.

Might go without saying...but apply it outside, LS is smelly.

Top Bottom